Odd squeals, wheel spin, and stall issues after tire balance and rotation?

Reaction score
I have a 2016 Subaru Forester XT 2.0L with Turbo that has about 72,000 miles on it.

A day ago, I had my tires balanced and rotated at a Pep Boys (the tires have perhaps 20,000 miles on them and were overdue for the service). I don't much trust the service at this location but rotation/balance is free since I got the tires there originally. I usually just get the tires rotated (no balance). Recently, however, I had noticed a vibration in the car when driven over 65 mph. As a result, I requested a wheel balance as well.

The mechanic told me when I picked up the completed car that the wheels were indeed quite out of balance and that "one of them did not have any weights at all." Isn't that the way they start out ?

Anyway, I immediately noticed several issues with the car that I had never experienced.

First, the moment I drove the car, the tires seemed "rough" and somehow not in sync. Hard to describe exactly, but just not right. For one thing, if I accelerated quickly the tires (or some anyway) actually would rumble and slip getting up to speed. My first thought was that this was because the tires had been so out of balance and also newly rotated that it would take a while for them to wear away enough rubber to sync up. And I assumed that this effect would be exaggerated by the AWD. Am I insane?

Second, and I am not even sure if this is even related to the tires/wheels, but when I make a turn at slow speed, there is a loud squeal. At first I thought it must be the tires since they had just been serviced, but after listenly more carefully with the windows down, it really sounds more like a belt. I thought, power steering fluid? No, because as I learned my car has EPS for which there is no fluid. Any ideas? Coincidence or related to the wheel service?

Third, when the car comes to a stop (not every time, but sometimes), it stalls out. So, for example, I let the car naturally drift to a stop at a stop sign it may do a slight shudder and stall out. What's that all about ?

Any help to avoid or minimize repair costs would be most appreciated.

Christian

Ask a Question