Odd question!

Reaction score
I am considering a new Subaru (lease, most likely). I am coming from a 2009 Ford Expedition. I enjoy large vehicles, but I want something newer and better on gas. I don't think I want to go as high as an Ascent, so...which model would be the most comfortable to transition into? Forester? Outback? It seems the Forester sits higher?

I know this is totally subjective, but any thoughts would help. Thanks.

Without getting caught up on the idea of why someone would "enjoy large vehicles".

Initially I would have said "Forester", but the Outback should definitely be compared. The Forester is taller, while the Outback is longer. Ford Expeditions are HUGE; my sister owns one (she also owns on Outback).

No Subaru currently available is going to match the gargantuan size of an Expedition, or other areas like towing. The Forester will give you the SUV "feel", but it's going to seem tiny to you. Not that I want to discourage you. I'm sure you would adjust. However, Subaru just released a turbocharged version (XT trim) of the Outback (FINALLY...), so in my opinion, it would be way more fun to drive, yet still have decent cargo-carrying capability, and OK ground clearance.

Thanks for the response. Having test driven a Forester and an Outback, I think I do like the more SUV feel of a Forester. My reason for looking at Subaru is that my 2009 is starting to show its age, (160,000 miles). May look at jumping into a lease in a Forester. I also will miss the full 4WD, but I will only go to a Subaru because they do have the best AWD. As for the size..."Just because I can" is the usual answer for such things!

Yeah, in retrospect, I apologize for that opening comment. People like what they like.

Let us know how you make out, especially in terms of your experience moving from an Excursion to a Forester.''

Cheers.

Yeah, in retrospect, I apologize for that opening comment. People like what they like.

Let us know how you make out, especially in terms of your experience moving from an Excursion to a Forester.''

Cheers.

No apologies necessary! I took it as a somewhat "tongue in cheek" comment. I do think you are correct about a Forester, though. I have test driven both, and the Outlook is very nice, but I do like the visibility and "SUVness" of a Forester. My wife and I camp regularly in an SUV tent, and she would still sleep comfortably in a Forester while I am in the attached tent. I may even wait a while and try an Ascent. Oh boy...the price keeps going up!

Just got a Forester and love it. You do sit higher in the Forester vs the Outback. Coming from a Grand Cherokee, I find it less roomier, although still very comfortable. Cargo area is smaller, but with the back seats down when necessary, not a propblem. Was wondering if you considered the Ascent, especially coming from an Expedition.

Ask a Question