Odd loss of battery charge

Reaction score
I was driving my 2016 Forester on 2 bars of gas in a remote rural area, so I decided to fillerup when I saw a lone gas station. All pumps had been turned off for the night and in the few minutes of trying all 4 pumps the engine would not turn over. Lights and dash normal just that clicking sound upon trying ignition. The battery is virtually new and I'd just been on the road for 30 minutes already. I may have left my lights on for a max of 5 minutes while unsuccessfully trying the four pumps.

I got a charge from a local car guy so it was indeed the battery. He also said Subarus will sometimes turn over in neutral if they fail in park. He said if I don't see the "P" for park then turn key to the "on" position and try to start in neutral, foot on brake.

Any opinions on this P vs N ignition thing, and also on how my Suby battery died with such brief usage of lights?

I was at the dealer last Saturday. Went to test drive and the car would not turn over. Salesman had to jump the car when we got back I had a discussion about it wanting a new battery on purchase, He talked to his manager and agreed. His manager said that the stock Subaru batteries suck and is a common problem.

But you said yours is a 2016 , is it the original battery? They last about 4- 5 years as is.

I was at the dealer last Saturday. Went to test drive and the car would not turn over. Salesman had to jump the car when we got back I had a discussion about it wanting a new battery on purchase, He talked to his manager and agreed. His manager said that the stock Subaru batteries suck and is a common problem.

But you said yours is a 2016 , is it the original battery? They last about 4- 5 years as is.

I finally checked and the battery says "subaru" right on it, which prob makes this a 6yo battery and a poor one at that. I have a few vehicles and thought I had replaced this...my bad.

Ask a Question