Dealer Premium on new cars

Reaction score
I just got back from the local dealer in Southern Oregon.

They said they are tacking on a $4,000 premium onto the MSRP for a Crosstrek (all of their cars) and they've always done that....

I can understand adding a premium now when inventory is very low, but I was surprised they're claiming they've always done that. The salesman was new so maybe he means in his current life they've always added a premium.

Do your local dealers add a premium in a "normal" year?

No, this is price gouging. In a normal year you can haggle for a discount under MSRP, these days you’re lucky just to get the MSRP price.

Adding a premium is not "normal'. I am at a dealer in NC and we DO NOT add a premium to ANY of our cars. The dealer is trying to take advantage of low inventory levels and I think its complete bullshit!

Adding a premium is not "normal'. I am at a dealer in NC and we DO NOT add a premium to ANY of our cars. The dealer is trying to take advantage of low inventory levels and I think its complete bullshit!
I live in NC and looking to buy a new Crosstrek, been searching for a while but been running into the premiums. Which area are you located?

A lot of dealers are doing this. I hope every single one of them is remembered for a long time for it. There are dealerships that still hold their customers in high regard. Find one and stick with them until that changes, and it will. Sales and service managers usually set the tone in the shops, and they come and go.

They said they are tacking on a $4,000 premium onto the MSRP for a Crosstrek (all of their cars) and they've always done that....

I can understand adding a premium now when inventory is very low, but I was surprised they're claiming they've always done that. The salesman was new so maybe he means in his current life they've always added a premium.

Just ordered my wife a 22 BRZ on 11/4/21 and I ordered a Crosstrek sport.. I just received mine, hers is in 10 days. we actually paid alot less then msrp/ or window sticker and we got alot of extras on it.. the dealership we normally goto was trying to charge a 2500 premium on both of the cars on us. walked away and told them them to **** you and lost our business. we have tier 1 plus credit. they didn't care.

@skizalp mind sharing the dealer info? I'm helping a friend order a new subaru.
Anyone else have suggestions on a dealer in the US that would sell a new subaru for invoice or less?
I just wrapped up a deal with a Ford dealer in another state that is selling at less than invoice. It took a little work to find and get it done, but way easier than local ford dealer that wanted sticker or sticker ++.

@skizalp mind sharing the dealer info? I'm helping a friend order a new subaru.
Anyone else have suggestions on a dealer in the US that would sell a new subaru for invoice or less?
I just wrapped up a deal with a Ford dealer in another state that is selling at less than invoice. It took a little work to find and get it done, but way easier than local ford dealer that wanted sticker or sticker ++.

no problem.i got my wife's car and my car from ciocca subaru in pleasantville nj

McKenna Subaru in Huntington Beach is charging just msrp with no other mark up. They have a waiting list and zero cars on the lot.

I just ordered a '23 Crosstrek Sport - no ADM added...MSRP which is about as good as it gets these days. I did manage to have them throw in the all season mats, $200 off any accessory, 3 yrs of Starlink for free (which is a ripoff at normal pricing), and a little stuffed Subaru dog for pain & suffering (I wanted them to throw in remote start, but it's back ordered until May, at the earliest). Not a horrible deal...I just hope I made the right decision. Thought about a Honda HR-V....

Just scored 2023 Crosstrek Sport that was cancelled by a costumer. The car was available for an immediate purchase so I bought it. The dealer wanted 2K over MSRP, but after long negotiation they sold the vehicle at sticker price.
The dealerships still trying to charge you more I guess...

Wanted a Rav4, Toyota added $5-8k over MSRP... Subaru of Jacksonville (Fl) sold us a loaded Limited for MSRP. We're HAPPY!

Autonation Subaru in Spokane, WA. MSRP but selling out on shipments in short order.

I just bought a new Crosstrek base last saturday.
The dealer didn't charge a "market premium" but had $2000 in bs add ons like the fabreze on the upholstery etc. I had a lot of equity in my trade. I told the salesman what I was willing to pay, what I expected for my trade, how much I owed on the trade. After the usual annoying back and forth, and insultingly low trade/price offers, I was ready to walk and told them so. Miraculously they, made an offer that was close. I gave them my final offer, which was $500 over the number I said when I walked in. They accepted it. when I started, they wanted $27,000 for their 2023 Crosstrek Base, plus TTL, and $2000 in non negociable add ons. well over $30k. What I ended up with was them selling me the car for $24,500 plus TTL, with $19,000 financed (after trade in) and a lower payment than I had on my trade in.

Ill just say this. It does not matter what they say the selling price is, what the MSRP is, what the dealer add-ons are. The only way to know what price they will really sell it to you for, is to walk, or begin to walk. They know once you do, they wont come back.

ETA The dealer was Brandon Tomes Subaru in McKinney, Texas.

Last edited:
My wife and I bought a new 2023 Subaru Forester Premium from O’Steen Subaru in Valdosta, GA. We had to order it. There were none available on the lots at any Florida or Georgia dealerships. We placed a refundable $500 deposit on the order and O’Steen gave us a $500 under MSRP price with no dealer added BS like paint sealant.
This is a great dealer and the second vehicle we’ve purchased from them. Both purchases were painless and drama free.

OK, I put down $1K for July delivery on 2024 Crosstrek limited w/o sunroof for invoice!
They sent me a pdf file with detail contract on VIN#, packages, ext color and int color as well as price breakdown

We'll see if they yank my chain comes July, and not returning my deposit then I'll call my credit card to dispute the charge. At this point I am willing for them to collect interest rate off of that $1K.

4 other dealer stuck with MSRP, so again not sure if this dealer will deliver a car.

Ask a Question