Local Subaru dealership seems to be attempting to raid my wallet...

Reaction score
So, I am not super knowledgable about the mechnical workings of a verhicle, but I have friends who own local garages and I am looking for some feedback from others here in hopes to figure somethings out.

I own a 2018 Forester. The SRH system for the headlights just started going into auto-off mode because there is an issue with one of the sensors. A local garage used thier computer to check error codes to see what the issue was exactly, and my ECM version was outdated and had a slew of buggy info on it. The garage could not flash the ECM to the latest version, because it is something that only the dealships can do apparently. The garage recommended the flashing so the codes where all reset because even my odometer reading was off in his computer.

So I took my car to the local Subaru dealership for the flashing of the ECM and also to get my rear hatch door fixed as one of the poles/struts snapped off and it was covered under an extended warrenty. I also wanted them to fix my CTV park switch, as my keys have been getting locked in the ignition after turning the car off; forcing me to start the car again and put in gear/park in hopes the keys would release. This CTV switch is also under an extended warranty, so I was looking for them to do the work on this as well.

When I got to the dealership, they tried to upsell at every avenue they could. They told me that just flashing the ECM may not fix the headlight sensor issue (which I knew it was more than likley not going to do). They then told me they would need to run a diognostics check on the car AFTER the flashing to see what the issues where. They wanted to charge me seperate fees for both things. $70 for the flash8ing and then another $140 for a diognostics check (which my local garage was going to do for free after the flashing).

They then told me it was recommended to do an "induction flush" after the ECM flashing because the throttle bottle would be reset afterwards, which could cause the car the "run rough" without the induction flush. They wanted to charge me $200 for that. Then they told me that if they go in to fix the CTV park switch, there is a chance that all the wiring in the console could have "corrosion issues" and if the wiring gets any damage while they are in there, the wiring itself is not covered under warranty. They then added "And you need the wires functional to drive the car out of here, so replacing those IF something happens will be $200."

I had my local mechanic on speed dial while I was there, and he told me that to re-calibrate the throttle body, you just drive it like normal and that an induction flush could potentially push lose debris further into my engine and that $200 for the flush was an adsurd number. Now that the ECM has been flashed, my local garagre can see all the correct codes and my odometer is no longer off. They also have parts on order to fix the SRH issue.

So is this dealership garage being ridiculous with these claims? Or are they warrented? Anyone have any suggestions for me on future maintenance? Other then basic things like oil changes, tires, brakes/rotors we have not had much done to the car. We're approaching the 98,000 mile mark.

Thanks in advance for any feedback/info.

Ask a Question