2010 Forester 2.5 smell coolant at the rear of the vehicle

Reaction score
Hi, Any help would be appreciated. I changed the radiator in my 2010 Forester in July, and had no leaks at all. The other day I was at the rear of the vehicle and smelled coolant so I looked for any signs of a leak in the engine, and found no leaks. Driving home the heat cut out and I checked the coolant level, and it was low, topped off coolant and things were good. Now I have no heat at idle, on acceleration I get a little heat. I am seeing no smoke from the exhaust, no rough running or idle, great fuel economy, and I'm being told to replace the head gasket, but I'm not seeing any other signs that it could be a head gasket. I would like to try Bar's Leaks HG1 to see if that will get me through for a couple weeks, I just don't have the $6,000 to replace the head gasket at my "favorite" Subie dealer, and as much as I love my Subie, she's not worth $6,000 on trade in or selling outright. (Please don't tell her I said this, I swear she reads my emails and posts that pertain to her, and she gets upset if I talk bad about her) Any suggestions?
Thanks,
My Subie isn't in heat

Ask a Question