2010 Subaru Forester - is it dead? Electrical?

Reaction score
We bought a used 2010 Subaru Forester last month that was in pretty decent condition, but had P0420 for a code.

About a week later, the engine started stuttering/Skipping occasionally and code p0301 and p0303. We changed the spark plugs and wires, and it also had new brakes and calipers.

For two weeks, it was perfect.
Then this week, the skip came back, the codes came back. It started smoking a couple times. Then that stopped.
On the way to work yesterday, it just…died. It was skipping, then it cut out and I haven’t been able to start it again since.
It tries to turn over, but doesn’t start.

Any ideas?
It’s the perfect car for us and I’m not ready to give up on it!

My father in-law had a similar issue with his 2010 Forester. Dealer wanted to replace the engine; second opinion independent shop found a loose connection at the coil pack. All was good except the 0420 code which required some minor tuning of the ECU to go away. It's been running fine since. I think you should check/unplug/replug all connections.

Ask a Question