2009 2.5 R&R what to replace

Reaction score
Greetings,

My wife's 2009 knocked a rod loose, so I sourced a rebuilt long block.

I'd like to get a list of sensors and parts to replace, and verify some of the info I've managed to dig up.

This engine was sold to me by Sunwest Automotive in Washington state, and arrived today. I decided not to rebuild the original, as the price from them was about what it would run for me to source the machine work, parts and project creep I tend to create for myself, plus my time. I hope they did a good job, as I'm already starting to gnaw my arm off wanting to tear it down to inspect the work. Not gonna do it...

My understanding is, the flex plate bolts are one time use. What other items would you recommend replacing? The engine came assembled with the timing belt on, no valve covers or pan. I'll tank everything.

My thoughts are with new VVT solenoids, switches, knock sensor(s). I saw something about the cam sensor. The list grows. From what I've read, EGR is a biggie, if it has one. In '09 it should, but I don't know Subaru's as well as others. Temperature sensor, T'stat. Oil pressure switch, as she didn't see that come on until it threw a code for the VVT when it ran out of oil pressure. Yay idiot lights... Not. Her hearing isn't too good, so she didn't hear it tearing itself up. The car was towed home, and found terminally low on oil.

Did I miss anything? Anything you would omit? It's a granny car, but based our getting up there in years, it's going to need to last a goodly long while.

The little shop I work at is doing the R&R, so that means the owner and I will be burning the midnight-oil this weekend. Normally we just work on trucks, but have done a few R&R's on the smaller stuff for folks. It's nice to swap something smaller than a Detroit.

Thanks in advance!

CJ

Greetings,

My wife's 2009 knocked a rod loose, so I sourced a rebuilt long block.

I'd like to get a list of sensors and parts to replace, and verify some of the info I've managed to dig up.

This engine was sold to me by Sunwest Automotive in Washington state, and arrived today. I decided not to rebuild the original, as the price from them was about what it would run for me to source the machine work, parts and project creep I tend to create for myself, plus my time. I hope they did a good job, as I'm already starting to gnaw my arm off wanting to tear it down to inspect the work. Not gonna do it...

My understanding is, the flex plate bolts are one time use. What other items would you recommend replacing? The engine came assembled with the timing belt on, no valve covers or pan. I'll tank everything.

My thoughts are with new VVT solenoids, switches, knock sensor(s). I saw something about the cam sensor. The list grows. From what I've read, EGR is a biggie, if it has one. In '09 it should, but I don't know Subaru's as well as others. Temperature sensor, T'stat. Oil pressure switch, as she didn't see that come on until it threw a code for the VVT when it ran out of oil pressure. Yay idiot lights... Not. Her hearing isn't too good, so she didn't hear it tearing itself up. The car was towed home, and found terminally low on oil.

Did I miss anything? Anything you would omit? It's a granny car, but based our getting up there in years, it's going to need to last a goodly long while.

The little shop I work at is doing the R&R, so that means the owner and I will be burning the midnight-oil this weekend. Normally we just work on trucks, but have done a few R&R's on the smaller stuff for folks. It's nice to swap something smaller than a Detroit.

Thanks in advance!

CJ
JimTheMechanic@
Yah00
email me
i have a 2010 forester

Hey Jim,

I appreciate the message. We're into the second oil change. Mostly broken in. I just replaced everything that didn't come on the long block that was on the old one, so we're good. The R&R took a long day. Had to clean up a lot of bits & pieces.

Running great. Didn't throw any codes, and still hasn't. I got a nice ring seat early in the first 500. Still on the dinosaur juice. Next change, Synthetic.
We're right around 1000 miles, not using oil, or exhibiting any errant behavior beyond being an old car that needs struts.

That's OK. Don't have money for a new(er) one, and she'll probably turn her license in before it thinks of being worn or broken again. If not, we'll look into the senior center transport. Not far off in any event.

CJ

Ask a Question