2009 legacy losing power and misfiring?

Reaction score
i have posted about this on another forum about a month ago and got some answers but my problem is still persisting. in my 2009 legacy, a little over a month ago now while driving up a hill close to my house my car lost almost all power on me. it was bogging out, check engine flashing, making a whining noise, and smelled very hot. i was told the converter could be the issue so the back one was fixed (was melted shut). from there the car was still losing power when the gas pedal was pressed but was idling great. from there here’s a list of things that were done that didn’t work: new front cat and O2 sensors, vvt sensors checked (good), i believe timing was checked but not 100% on that, wiring checked (good), compression is good, new injector on cyl 2, new spark wires. (in about october i had an issue with misfires so all plugs, wires, and the coilpack were already replaced once before this). there’s definitely more but i’m blanking at the moment. anyways, the front cat was the most recent thing put on. since then the car will now take off fine but after a few minutes starts to lose power and bog out again. and now it does not want to idle as good as it was. it loses some power then revs back up. it’s also reading misfires again. first on 1 and 2. then spark wires were switched around and it read 3. new wires were put on again and it’s still missing. i’m thinking it could be a fuel problem but i am in no way sure. any more ideas?

1) Record and post the current fault codes.
2) Measure fuel pressure with the correct gauge.
3) Measure the MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor. (check air filter / box / hoses)
4) Measure the throttle pedal for the correct voltage input
5) Measure the throttle body for the correct voltage output
6) Check / test for vacuum leaks ie: hoses, seals EGR valve
7) Ensure there are no other exhaust restrictions from previous damage.
8) Check / test the injectors are operating and not restricted.

Get a scan tool(s) to help measure and monitor engine data using the SSM protocol.
See attachment

When repairs are completed >>
When the ECM is Reset and all DTC's have been cleared, the ECM idle control is also cleared.
If you have SSM3 or SSM4, simply instruct the ECM to set the idle speed.
Aftermarket bi-directional scan tools should be able to adapt the throttle program.
If there is no access to a factory style scan tool, you can recreate the proper conditions for the ECM to relearn idle control and the correct RPM to maintain idle speed under load conditions.
Load conditions include:
Cooling fans ON or OFF
A/C request
Power Steering load request
Transmission load request
Any electrical load request
Procedure:
1. Ensure all power accessories ie: lighting, heater and electrical parasites are OFF.
2. Disconnect the battery negative for 30 minutes.
3. Reconnect the battery negative.
4. Following all steps without touching any switches or pedals. Use the ignition key only.
5. Insert key to the ON position only for 20 seconds.
6a. Turn the key so that the engine starts.
6b. Set timer for 20 minutes.
6c. Let engine idle for 20 minutes.
7. Turn key OFF and leave the key in ignition for 20 seconds.
8. Remove the key.
9. Repeat step 5 and Continue to step 10a when complete.
10a. Turn the key so the engine starts and set timer for 10 minutes.
10b. Let engine idle for 10 minutes.
11. Turn the key OFF and leave key in ignition for 20 seconds.
12. Remove the key. The ECM has relearned idle speed.

Reset the clock, radio stations and electric window one-trip features.
At times, the memory electric seats and remote fobs may not operate.

Attachments

• Cables adjusted.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 5

Ask a Question