Weird Issue with Combination Meter/Dash Cluster

Reaction score
I'm having a problem with my 2015 Crosstrek in that when I start the car, after the dash has done it's "start up sweep" and tested all of the lights and components... the middle display screen goes blank - or at least very dim - and the gauges stop working. The car drives just fine, but nothing is displayed. The turn signals will work, but the high beam indicator will not. I'm going to attach a video of the issue so everyone can see it.

• I have checked the fuses both inside the car and under the hood.
  • I have unhooked the battery and reset the electronics that way.
  • Once the issue happens, pressing the "trip" knob will display mileage, but does not resolve the problem.

I am willing to remove the cluster and check the connection, but don't know what I would be looking for... as the start up display actions work every time.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated. I'm holding off on going to the dealer if possible, as I know the diagnostic time would probably add up quickly.

Thanks for the help!!!

If you are still having this issue try to locate the wiring diagram for the cluster area including the dimmer to the cluster for reference if you are comfortable with troubleshooting in reading the diagrams. I would start by adjusting the dimmer for the cluster illumination. It could be that the adjuster (potentiometer) could be defective or the driver circuit it controls in dimming the cluster. This could include a failure in the PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) module used to vary the width of the driving pulse and therefore the brightness of the cluster LED’s. The diagram should provide a location of the module as it may be part of the cluster wiring board.

Ask a Question