Should I keep my 07 Forester 5-speed that needs work?

Reaction score
Hi everyone--

I have an 07 Forester, manual transmission, with 165,000 miles. It's my only car-- daily commuter, road tripper, etc. I love this car and everything about it. She got a new transmission about 3 years ago. More recently, she had about $3,000 of work done, and the mechanic said there's probably a head gasket job (~$4,000) in the not-so-distant future-- he saw seepage, and wants to monitor it. I don't know much about cars under the hood, and I don't work on anything myself.

Everyone is telling me to get rid of this car before the head gasket job. I only want a manual, so that would probably mean a 2019 Crosstrek. Second choice would be a gently used 2018 Forester. (Should have bought one new, last year!) I really love the older body style of my 07. But a new Crosstrek would be kind of exciting, too. My choices are:

1. Keep the 07 as my only car, and spend whatever $$$ it takes to keep her alive over the years. (My mechanic tells me this is not as crazy as I think, because Subaru.) Possibly feel nervous on road trips.

2. Keep the 07 just because I love her, and *also* buy a new car bc in the back of my mind, the 07 isn't 100% reliable.
a. I only have a 1-car garage; 07 would have to sit outside with a car cover. Not too convenient in a condo complex.
b. People tell me it's silly to keep 2 similar cars (hatchback Subies) that serve similar purposes (as opposed to having, say, 1 little sports car and 1 big pickup.)

3. Get rid of the 07, get a cool new car that I love, and possibly regret getting rid of a discontinued manual Forester for the rest of my life. Face this same dilemma in another 12 years, when the Crosstrek (or whatever) dies and there are no more manuals. to buy.

I know 07 doesn't seem old in Subie land, but I'm a middle-aged woman who doesn't wrench. :)

Ask a Question