2018 Outback cam seal gasket replace - what else should be done?

Reaction score
Hi all. I had a quick question and hope your expertise can help. My girlfriend’s car has a leaking cam seal gasket and the dealership said they will warranty it. The service tech said while they have the engine out of the car they will do some other work and just charge us for parts. My question is.. what other things should I have done while they have the car? While they have the engine out I’d like to have any other work done that will be coming up in the fairly near future to save time and cost down the road. I am having the spark plaugs done. Is there anything else you would recommend?? Thanks again for your expertise. I am new to Subaru and thought my Audi RS6 was a pain in the ass ha.
upload_2023-2-6_19-19-12.gif

Crankshaft seals front and back, the remaining camshaft seals and valve cover gaskets.

How many are there total? Should I have them mess with the others if they aren’t leaking?

One started to leak, the engine is removed at the moment.
There is a reason why one seal leaked.
1) poor oil quality
2) poor fuel quality
3) over pressurized crank case
4) defective oil seals / gaskets
5) over heating oil
6) over heating cooling system
7) degraded sealing material

4 cam system, two on the right, two on the left.

No different than repairing an Audi, cam seals, crank seals, turbo failures, cam chain failures, cam tensioner failures, intake valves plugged with oil because those engines are GDI / FSI - been there done that.
Decide with the technician on the next step.

Ask a Question