Rear grinding when turning sharply. 2012 Forester. Dealer says... transmission??

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm new here and was hoping to glean your opinions and/or advice on this problem. It started abruptly after doing a transmission & differential fluid change at a quickie-lube place. The next day I started feeling a grinding while turning. It was hard to pinpoint other than it was not coming from the front wheels - it seemed to be both rears or a central location. The lube place was useless after that so I took it to my local dealer (Scarborough, ON), expecting them to tell me it was an issue with the differential. But to my surprise they said my transmission was done ==> if that was the case, wouldn't I be having the problem all the time, not just while turning? I'm no gear-head, but a few more mech-inclined friends thought the same thing. Or, does one just blindly trust the dealership since they're the experts?

I was a admittedly a little rough on my transmission recently - towing my friend's equinox 5km down a fairly rough backroad after his tranny fluid all leaked out at once. We had him in neutral the whole way and steering with me, but that was still no doubt well over my tow rating, don't know how much that little trip may have hurt it.

I have this:
2012 Forester 2.5x Touring, 4-Cylinder Automatic (last trans. fluid change at 110,000km), 248,000 km
thanks for any thoughts or advice.

Ask a Question