2013 rear hatch not opening

Reaction score
The rear hatch on my 2013 (cursed edition) outback stopped functioning via the button above the license plate the other day. It is not a "lift gate", where the fob opens the back - it all comes down to that little button. I am able to open the hatch with a screwdriver and the little hidden lever.

I guess the issue boils down to either the latching mechanism itself at the bottom of the door or the button and wiring harness (sold as one piece) inside the door.

Does anyone have any knowledge about this issue or a way to diagnose whether I need a new latch or button/wiring? (other than trial and error)

Thank you

Pick the correct version.

Attachments

• And the model is.png
    And the model is.png
    3 KB · Views: 14
Test and inspect the wiring that goes from the interior and into the rear gate (hinge area).
The general breakage point is at the hinged pivot.
The schematic can be used with a multi-meter and or test light.
Pin 1 of the latch motor (M) is battery positive, Pin 2 is battery negative.
Applying positive voltage to Pin 1 and if Pin 2 is ground connected, will operate the motor.
Operating the switch and testing with a multi-meter, should indicate battery voltage to Pin 1.
If not, follow the connections backwards to the wiring that folds around the hinge at the gate.
The push button is the same test, one side is voltage signal. Closing the switch applies the ground circuit and commands the BIU to operate the latch motor (M).
All repairs should not be done at the bending points, Repairs should be accomplished before and after any bends.
Use "crimp and shrink" connectors, not solder.

Attachments

• 2013 Outback Limited Rear Latch.pdf
    52.5 KB · Views: 45

Ask a Question