23 OB Ltd remote start/rear hatch with fob (not)

Reaction score
Hi - I just took home my new OB Ltd this past weekend and am loving it. I think I’m really going to enjoy this car.

I was surprised to find out that I can’t start the car remotely with the fob without installing a remote starter kit ($) to make that possible. I have the Starlink/My Subaru app and can start with that, but it’s so much less convenient.

It’s just been eating at me because I don’t understand why the car can be started via the app (wifi?) and not from a signal from the fob. So, I have no experience as an electrician or in computer programming, so I apologize if these questions are totally ignorant.

Here they are.

At the end of the day, isn’t starting the car just a signal sent to some board that performs the commands in order to turn over the car? Does it matter where that signal comes from?

What exactly is the remote starter kit? Why is that needed? Does it take the fob signal and route it to the same board that the app uses?

Somewhat related question. I also realized the rear hatch can’t be opened with the fob. It only locks/unlocks. Really? Can’t something like that be changed through a software update? Why wouldn’t they have this ubiquitous feature.

Again, please excuse me if I’m way off base talking boards and signals. I’d love for somebody to set me straight on this. I researched the crap out of this vehicle before deciding. I just never thought to ask about these things cuz I thought all cars had these functions. My bad, buyer beware. Probably wouldn’t have been a deal-breaker, still love the car.

Can’t wait for it to snow so I can go do some donuts (just kidding)!

The difference being operation of an OEM remote start system compared to an aftermarket system. There will be an aftermarket remote fob that engages the remote start and no other application will work with it. The aftermarket system will also be programmed to allow a remote start to operate without the original key.
The factory remote start is integrated within the system and other WiFi connections would be available.
This factory system will also need to be "adapted" to the vehicle WiFi with what ever application is required on the smart device.
The problems begin when the WiFi application can not connect because the WiFi on the device is connected to the home WiFi system. That becomes a conflict.

That is the question, what is actually installed.

I'm in the same situation as Subarujosh. I find it ridiculous that my 3 day old outback cannot be started with a key fob. It's like Subaru is 30 years behind on this.
The web site says it can be ordered for $370. When I placed my vehicle order I was informed it cannot be ordered from the factory and is now a dealer install for only $700. No thanks. It seems like another rip off.
Now my car does not always start through the Starlink App, and the Starlink icon no longer shows up on my screen. Wonderful system they have.
I'm now searching for the best way to get a fob start while still only having one fob. Now I find out the factory remote start turns off the engine when the door is opened. It seems like Subaru has some technical work to do, and public relations too.

Ask a Question