Oil filter Cap wrench

Reaction score
Hello: My 65mm oil filter cap removal tool (fits aftermarket filters) does not fit the Subaru OME filter on my 2012 Impreza. Advanced auto store and dealer parts dept. of no help. If someone knows the correct size to remove this filter please share.

Thank you.

If you have to use a cap wrench then you're probably tightening it too much. If a filter is stuck on, though, you can use a strap wrench like this and it should be able to help you loosen just about any size.
https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-1566-Rubber-Wrench/dp/B001AMXRG6

But don't use it to put the filter back on. Screw the filter down till it makes contact, then turn it 3/4 to 1 full turn more to snug it down. Don't crank it down.

Good luck!

Thank you nighthawk. The stuck filter is a result of not having time to do my own oil change, and letting the dealer tech screw it down real good.

Fram and the cheap store oil filters used to say "....tighten only 1/2 to 3/4 turn after filter touches engine." Last one I bough for Outback didnt say that.
Strap wrenches are best cause they fit all filters.

Ask a Question