No acceleration hill assist light comes on

Discussion in 'Subaru Forester' started by spinnaker, Dec 20, 2018.

1. spinnaker

spinnaker

I have been having a problem with a lack of acceleration when pressing on the accelerator. The car does not stall, there is simply no response. This is almost always accompanied by the hill assist check warning coming on. It usually occurs when I am moving slowly.

Apparently I am not the only one with this complaint.
    https://www.carcomplaints.com/Subaru/Forester/2015/fuel_system/fuel_propulsion_system.shtml

Has anyone here had this issue and was able to have it resolved?

spinnaker, Dec 20, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. spinnaker

spinnaker

P.S. This is a 2015 Subaru Forester.

spinnaker, Dec 20, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. spinnaker

Nate4x4

Check if there is a sufficient amount of coolant in the coolant reservoir.

Nate4x4, Dec 20, 2018
  4. spinnaker

spinnaker

I think there is. But I will check again. What would that have to do with it? It is not over heating. Why would that cause the hill assit warning to go off?

spinnaker, Dec 20, 2018
  5. spinnaker

spinnaker

Checked level. It was fine as I expected. I went ahead and added a few drops.

The other thing I noticed was sometimes the brake tail lights stay on. after the ignition is turned off. I have to press the pedal again to get them to turn off.

My battery was dead this morning. I thought I checked the lights last night but maybe I missed it. Or maybe they came on after I left the car.

It is unbelievable that in the modern world of sensors and computers, your battery is allowed to drain to a point where the car can't be started. It would be real simple to monitor the battery level. If motor is off then all non essential systems would be shut down.

spinnaker, Dec 20, 2018
  6. spinnaker

Nate4x4

There are many reasons why your vehicle is losing POWER especially when accelerating.

Some common causes are: Mechanical problems such as: Low compression, Clogged fuel filter, Dirty air filter, Clogged Exhaust Manifold.

Malfunction of Actuators such as: Bad injectors, bad fuel pump, bad spark plugs.

Nate4x4, Dec 20, 2018
  7. spinnaker

spinnaker

Only 24K miles, Brand new air filter. As for the others I would hope not have 24K miles. Also there are no codes that at least I can see. I would hope any of those would trip a code.

And how would that explain the Hill Assist warning coming on? And any of those would show no matter what speed I was going. This usaully happens when I am moving slowly maybe under 10 miles an hour. Sometimes occurs then going a bit faster say 20 mph. But seems fine at highway speeds.

Happened again tonight. I noticed that if I really pressed on the accelerator the tach would respond. Maybe not as much as you think it should but it did respond, But the car went nowhere. If I backed off of the accelerator all the way then things went back to normal. Makes me think it is a transmission issue but still there is that Hill Assist warning. Don't know how that can be related.

Anyway I take it into the dealer tomorrow. Hope they don't rack me for service. Car is 4 years old now from the purchase date.

spinnaker, Dec 26, 2018
  8. spinnaker

spinnaker

Something else I just noticed, After starting the car and I press on the accelerator at idle, the brake tail light comes on. It will remain on after I turn off the engine. Sometimes it will stay on unless I tap the brakes. Sometimes it goes off by itself 2 or 3 seconds after the engine is shutdown, I hear a whining sound then the brake light goes off.

spinnaker, Dec 26, 2018
  9. spinnaker

subaru559

did you resolve this? I just started having this EXACT issue on 8/19/19 Hope to hear from you.

subaru559, Aug 20, 2019
  10. spinnaker

remy6908

This may sounds like a dumb question but, are you driving with the parking brake engaged?

remy6908, Aug 28, 2019
  11. spinnaker

subaru559

nope, just had the brake light recall replacement and problem started happening afterwards. FYI everyone reading this, i took it back and they re-adjusted whatever setting on the recall and the problem has been resolved for over a week.

subaru559, Aug 28, 2019
  12. spinnaker

remy6908

Good to hear! Thanks for the update.

remy6908, Aug 28, 2019
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question