Mild steering vibration only on hard acceleration

Reaction score
Hello. I have a 2012 Impreza Premium. I've been suddenly replacing part after part after part after wiring harness after part after part on this thing in the last 6 months. Ugh, exhausting. 80k miles. But I have a new issue I'm not really familiar with and it's driving me crazy.
I am partially mechanically inclined but not a mechanic by any means, cdl driver for years and am baffled on this one.
She drives fine during normal driving. BUT, If I floor it there is a weird mild vibration in the steering wheel. Only when I put the peddle to the metal per say. Yes I know, just stop doing that. I can't help I have a HEAVY led foot at times (drove a cab in Atlanta so I'm sort of an assertive semi-aggressive driver). But that is still worrisome because she never did this before until I had the valve cover gasket and a front axle replaced.
Again, only if floored. Otherwise fine but she does what I call wonders / floats. Steering wheel after alignment isn't straight that they did either. Also control arms replaced as well. And rotors, brakes, awd differential flush, trans flush, fuel induction, starter, hvac wiring harness (goes back tomorrow because technician didn't do it right so no hazards, no door speakers, no a/C, no heat to floor board ‍♀️). And many other things in the past 6 months. But wondering why all of a sudden this mild vibration that never was an issue before. It's minor, but it's there and drives me nuts because i fear it may get worse after this ext warranty i paid for ends.
Also after valve cover gasket replaced the tick went away. About 100 miles ago. Now it's back already. What the heck. Is this normal to have the tick or no?
Thanks for your time. God Bless.

When control arms are replaced, the mounting bolts need to be torqued with the total weight on the wheels.
If not done correctly and the arms were installed with the suspension hanging, the bushings will tear.
If for some reason the axles were removed because of control arm replacement, the axle shafts and bearings need to be inspected for damage and the proper torque. That will include all the wheels to be torqued correctly.
Also, inspect the axle shafts to rotate with no bends or obstructions.

The steering when and suspension should be aligned correctly, The steering wheel has a "steering angle sensor" and sends data to the ABS and it also means all four sensors should be reading the identical speed values on a straight path. Having the steering off center is never a good idea.
Measure the circumference of all 4 wheels, they must match. Inspect the tires for damage, inflation and balance.
Some Subaru models have issues with the Torque Converter Lock Up Clutch if you have an automatic.
What ever fluids were exchanged / replaced, measure ALL the levels again and trust no one till you see it for yourself.

As for the "tick", that can be anything and one test to perform is to replace the oil filter. Have it opened and check for metal particles withing the filtering pleats.That noise can derive from any rotating parts such as engine timing mechanisms, valve liters, rocker arms and even a small exhaust leak.
Use the attachments as a guide.

Find another "mechanic" or shop it's obvious the person didn't even test the harness installation.

Attachments

• 2012 Impreza Premium ABS.pdf
    77.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 05-50-10r-Subaru NVH.pdf
    257.5 KB · Views: 5
When control arms are replaced, the mounting bolts need to be torqued with the total weight on the wheels.
If not done correctly and the arms were installed with the suspension hanging, the bushings will tear.
If for some reason the axles were removed because of control arm replacement, the axle shafts and bearings need to be inspected for damage and the proper torque. That will include all the wheels to be torqued correctly.
Also, inspect the axle shafts to rotate with no bends or obstructions.

The steering when and suspension should be aligned correctly, The steering wheel has a "steering angle sensor" and sends data to the ABS and it also means all four sensors should be reading the identical speed values on a straight path. Having the steering off center is never a good idea.
Measure the circumference of all 4 wheels, they must match. Inspect the tires for damage, inflation and balance.
Some Subaru models have issues with the Torque Converter Lock Up Clutch if you have an automatic.
What ever fluids were exchanged / replaced, measure ALL the levels again and trust no one till you see it for yourself.

As for the "tick", that can be anything and one test to perform is to replace the oil filter. Have it opened and check for metal particles withing the filtering pleats.That noise can derive from any rotating parts such as engine timing mechanisms, valve liters, rocker arms and even a small exhaust leak.
Use the attachments as a guide.

Find another "mechanic" or shop it's obvious the person didn't even test the harness installation.
Thx so much for your response. I did drop it this morning to a new technician at a different subaru location. It is the torque in the axle that was done. So thank you very much also for the education attachments. It didn't do it at high speeds, only hard throttle/ floored acceleration. But the issue is fixed now and I pick it up in the morning. While there having them replace the alternator. Again, thx for your reposne and time. God Bless.

Ask a Question