98 legacy hesitates on acceleration and deceleration

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to his forum. I have owned my 98 legacy for the past 4 years and have been learning how to do my own repairs. I recently started feeling a slight stutter when I press the gas and another one when I take my foot off the gas. I'd like to figure out what this is and fix it before it becomes a worse problem, but I'm not sure where to start looking. It seems to happen after the first few minutes of operation, and I mainly notice it at around 60. There's no movement in the tach when it happens.

I recently drained and refilled the transmission fluid in order to reseal the pan. I also replaced a gasket on the front differential and noticed the problem directly after.
Thanks!

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to his forum. I have owned my 98 legacy for the past 4 years and have been learning how to do my own repairs. I recently started feeling a slight stutter when I press the gas and another one when I take my foot off the gas. I'd like to figure out what this is and fix it before it becomes a worse problem, but I'm not sure where to start looking. It seems to happen after the first few minutes of operation, and I mainly notice it at around 60. There's no movement in the tach when it happens.

I recently drained and refilled the transmission fluid in order to reseal the pan. I also replaced a gasket on the front differential and noticed the problem directly after.
Thanks!
Clogged Catalytic Converter.
Your catalytic converter is responsible for regulating the emissions coming out of your car.
Sometimes the rich mixtures of air and fuel that flows through your catalytic converter can clog, which can result in a jerking or stuttering motion when you press the gas pedal.

Is there a check engine light on? Being a 98 it is OBD2, have it scanned would be a good start. So far as a clogged cat, typically if a cat is clogged, it will not flow like it should and will restrict engine RPM. I had a car come into the shop with a cat plugged so badly that in neutral if you held your foot to the floor it would not go over 2500 RPM. I have seen others that would keep the car from going over 50MPH, I have never seen one that made a car shake. Not saying that can't happen, just I have never seen it and I have seen a lot of bad cats.
Tom

Hi Guys, Newbie here. I have a 2007 Forester NA 2,5 and have been having fuel issues:
Vehicle misses and stutters on acceleration (only sometimes) which seems to go away for a little while when I switch the engine off and on (even while driving)
It happens on a straight road and has nothing to do with cornering
There are no codes or engine light
So far I have changed the front fuel filter (engine side) and also tried loosening the gas cap (so there is no vacuum in the tank

Any Ideas

Ask a Question