Melting Side view mirror

Took ownership of 23 Crosstrek on 9/25/22 in Dallas/TX and I have noticed evidence of melting damage to both of my side view mirrors particularly on driver side. I have read the other postings, in my case I believe the cause may have been the car wash dryer at the end of wash. I will post pics to show my damage. Wonder if any other Subaru drivers who have experience side view mirror melting else have had a similar experience and think their local carwash may be partly or fully responsible? I did take my Crosstrek in for servicing and asked about damage, dealership claims to have never have seen side view mirror melting and said the repair cost (will be on me. I did mention to dealership about my theory about the car wash and the rep bought it, probably because it takes the blame off Subaru.
I am thinking of taking my Crosstrek back to auto cleaning place and taking pics prior to cash wash and then immediately after to see if there is additional melting, what do I have to lose by going back to car wash to replicate the experiment[/QUOTE

An update, the sideview melting has now happened to both side view mirrors. After checking in with the auto cleaning place that I thought possibly have caused the issue, I now definitely don't believe the auto cleaning is the culprit. The cause of this issue is Subaru's defective parts. I think its shameful that Subaru doesn't own up to the problem. My dealership blew off the issue said it wasn't their problem. I intend to communicate with Subaru's dealership and this time directly request their replacement of the side view mirrors on my new car of 3 months. If the dealership refuses I intend to bring the issue to Consumer reports who is indirectly responsible for me purchasing my car based on their glowing write up of the 23 Cross trek. I think all the parties here should do the same, we are hard working people and Subaru needs to own the issue of their defective parts related to side view mirror and find a solution and be responsive corporate citizens and help their customers.

An update, the sideview melting has now happened to both side view mirrors. After checking in with the auto cleaning place that I thought possibly have caused the issue, I now definitely don't believe the auto cleaning is the culprit. The cause of this issue is Subaru's defective parts. I think its shameful that Subaru doesn't own up to the problem. My dealership blew off the issue said it wasn't their problem. I intend to communicate with Subaru's dealership and this time directly request their replacement of the side view mirrors on my new car of 3 months. If the dealership refuses I intend to bring the issue to Consumer reports who is indirectly responsible for me purchasing my car based on their glowing write up of the 23 Cross trek. I think all the parties here should do the same, we are hard working people and Subaru needs to own the issue of their defective parts related to side view mirror and find a solution and be responsive corporate citizens and help their customers.

Your car is under warranty and they should definitely cover it. My 22 Outback just had the mirror cover replaced yesterday for the same issue. My dealership contacted corporate sent them the photos and they did cover it. Corporate sent an email showing the reflection from windows is causing the melting. I also had a 2017 that I traded in and it had a Melted mirror as well. It happened the same time of year here in FL during winter months. The sun is lower and reflects off my neighbors window onto my driveway. We now watch the reflection cross my drive. What I find interesting is it’s mainly Subaru cars. The material they use for these mirrors. I’ve stopped parking in my driveway now during the noonish hours. Look around your work or home where you park your car. You may have to park elsewhere during winter months. Good Luck. Make them cover it and it’s just a cover they pop off.

I believe Subaru does have a problem with their plastics. I had the same problem this year on my 2015 Forester with the mirror and had to replace it (little over $1K). I also had a problem with a plastic part at the rear passenger window that started melting. After researching this problem, the greatest probability of the cause is sun reflection for high efficiency double-pained low-E window reflection. But I had another car parked in the same place for over 2 years and did not have this problem with any plastic parts. We purchased a new EV that is in the garage and the Subaru took over our outside parking spot. We seldom use the second car, so the car parked outside gets little use. Bottom line, plastic on other cars does not melt under the same conditions Subaru plastic melts. They apparently do not use hi-temperature plastics as other manufacturers use.

You guys have better hope than I. My advisor told me it’s outside force, a lighter. I have a 2021 ascent and back side of my mirror is also that way. And the inner part on the sides where the lights are, are also melting. Still no answers. Have been fighting with Subaru about this.
Hey guys. I’m I the same position as you and Subaru has the same answer….reflective sun..no, it’s not!its crummy material they use.. I think a Class action suit ,if all of us, and there are a lot,get together and Sue. Does this idea intrigue anyone? If so, lets try and tie everyone in. I’m tired of their runaround!

CombustingSubaru has a similar theory about their may be a correlation to carwash place.
I have a case started with Subaru. If anyone wants fo send their information over I can add it to the case number I have so I can have some back up that it’s not just me… because obviously they don’t believe me..

here is mine.. CAN ANYONE ELSE ADD A PHOTO OF THEIR MIRROR PLEASE?
I have suggested starting a case against Subaru, as they have given me the same run around that obviously all the others received, and believe me there are many others. Since you seem to have started one, let me know the logistics of your case.

I want to be part of the case against Subaru. I have pictures I can send, if I knew how to do it. I am tired of the runaround I have received from them! Treating me like I was the only owner that the melting happened to. I am so glad I found this site. Let’s all get together and have a Class Action suit against them. I actually love my Forrester, just don’t like Subaru’s attitude.
By The Way, I don’t care how the melting occurred. It’s the material they used in building the car that’s at fault. . Someone out there answer me, please.

Not connected to car wash! I have never used a car wash and my mirrors melted as well as side panel. I believe the sun really does the melting due to inferior materials. Will someone answer me? I keep writing, but get no response. I sent my pictures in, but they don’t show on this site. I want to be part of the suit against Subaru. They deserve to be sued.

I have a case started with Subaru. If anyone wants fo send their information over I can add it to the case number I have so I can have some back up that it’s not just me… because obviously they don’t believe me..

here is mine.. CAN ANYONE ELSE ADD A PHOTO OF THEIR MIRROR PLEASE?

2022 crosstrek passenger mirror melting. Brought to shop and they acted like someone stood with lighter and burned it. Starting on other mirror also :/ this is crazy! Still in shop. But they don’t seem to helpful. Told me to go call corporate! That they never heard of this which I find totally impossible from all I read

I had had my mirrors replaced twice last fall and then the plastic around my rear window. I concur, it is a plastic that does not tolerate the sun. Especially if it is reflected from a window. I have pictures, but do not see how to include them on this thread.

20230417_145442.jpg

Attachments

• 20230417_145432.jpg
    20230417_145432.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230417_145412.jpg
    20230417_145412.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20221107_143753.jpg
    20221107_143753.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20221026_160643.jpg
    20221026_160643.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20221006_140614.jpg
    20221006_140614.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 4
My 2017 Outback just started melting. Looks just like this. Did you ever get any answer to what was going on
Yes, Subaru refuses to take responsibility for it, when it definitely is their bad material. Someone has started a suit against them and I want to join it.

Ask a Question