Melting Side view mirror

Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking for help. I have a 2015 Subaru outback that I bought brand new. The side view mirror has melted three times since I have owned it. It melted the first time about 8 months after I bought it and the dealership reluctantly replaced it. It melted again about 8 months after that, and the dealership initially refused to replace it, even though the car was still under warranty. I threatened to complain on social media and they begrudgingly replaced it but stated this was the last time. At this point I was starting to see a correlation between the no touch car wash and my melting mirrors so I opted to start washing my car myself. Months later I drove through Hurricane MIchael and the mirror started melting again, but not as severely. My theory is water is somehow getting into the door or the arm of the mirror and short circuiting a wire. The heat from the wire is melting the plastic. When I told Subaru this they treated me like I was a stupid female. Both the Subaru engineer and the manager of Perry Subaru at the time completely dismissed my concerns stating it was sunlight reflecting off a mirrored building.
My car has been sitting in front of my house since March 2020 and the mirror continues to melt periodically. And yes, it is associated with significant rain storms. I have reached out the dealership who refused to even look at it the last time I took it in for service. I am including photos of where I am parking (in front of my house) and the mirror itself to see if anyone could offer some advice on how to get Subaru to take responsibility for something that appears to be a manufacturing defect.
Thank you in advance for your time...
Lara

IMG_0039.jpg
IMG_0039.jpg
IMG_0042.jpg
IMG_0042.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0555.jpg
    IMG_0555.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0556.jpg
    IMG_0556.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 109
My 2017 Outback just started melting. Looks just like this. Did you ever get any answer to what was going on

My 2017 Outback just started melting. Looks just like this. Did you ever get any answer to what was going on
No, they deny any responsibility and told me that something must be dripping on it. I have contacted Subaru international to no avail. I'm open to any ideas.

I very recently purchased a 2018 Crosstrek, and the rear view mirror casing on the passenger side has started melting. I will try to add pictures to this today. Having no luck with the dealership as well. The mechanic tried telling me it was from parking next to a structure with a lot of windows and that the reflection from those windows was causing it, but I don't park next to any structure like that, and I am in Massachusetts, and it's the winter. I thought for sure it was an electrical issue, but the mechanic took the mirror off and looked at the electrical and said it looks fine, no interior signs of overheating, and therefore my warranty will not cover replacing the mirror. Very disappointing. Not sure how to proceed, but the fact that you two also are experiencing this makes it a thing.

Last edited:
I very recently purchased a 2018 Crosstrek, and the rear view mirror casing on the passenger side has started melting. I will try to add pictures to this today. Having no luck with the dealership as well. The mechanic tried telling me it was from parking next to a structure with a lot of windows and that the reflection from those windows was causing it, but I don't park next to any structure like that, and I am in Massachusetts, and it's the winter. I thought for sure it was an electrical issue, but the mechanic took the mirror off and looked at the electrical and said it looks fine, no interior signs of overheating, and therefore my warranty will not cover replacing the mirror. Very disappointing. Not sure how to proceed, but the fact that you two also are experiencing this makes it a thing.

I’ve been doing some research, and have read up on reflective windows. We believe it’s from our neighbors window reflecting to the perfect spot on the mirror. We now back into our driveway. We are in a new townhouse community in Florida. We just moved here in October. There’s information out there on energy efficient reflective windows. They have even been know to start siding on fire. We stood in the driveway where we saw kind of an orange reflection and it was so hot we couldn’t stand there. Apparently it happens In The winter months because of the angle of the sun. I haven’t gone to Subaru yet but I’m sure I’ll have to replace the mirror myself. Hope this helps. Good luck

I have a 2019 Subaru that the drivers side mirror casing started to melt. I was told the same that it is a mirror reflection causing the damage. However, we drove in a rain storm for about 5 hours and when we returned there was more melting damage to the mirror. They did a one time replacement and still stick with the "Reflection from a mirror" answer. Even though I told them it took place last Saturday while we were driving. I fear that this is going to happen again as they never found what was causing the issue. Of course that was the end of my warranty. Not sure what will happen if it melts again.

Hello,
I am looking for help. I have a 2015 Subaru outback that I bought brand new. The side view mirror has melted three times since I have owned it. It melted the first time about 8 months after I bought it and the dealership reluctantly replaced it. It melted again about 8 months after that, and the dealership initially refused to replace it, even though the car was still under warranty. I threatened to complain on social media and they begrudgingly replaced it but stated this was the last time. At this point I was starting to see a correlation between the no touch car wash and my melting mirrors so I opted to start washing my car myself. Months later I drove through Hurricane MIchael and the mirror started melting again, but not as severely. My theory is water is somehow getting into the door or the arm of the mirror and short circuiting a wire. The heat from the wire is melting the plastic. When I told Subaru this they treated me like I was a stupid female. Both the Subaru engineer and the manager of Perry Subaru at the time completely dismissed my concerns stating it was sunlight reflecting off a mirrored building.
My car has been sitting in front of my house since March 2020 and the mirror continues to melt periodically. And yes, it is associated with significant rain storms. I have reached out the dealership who refused to even look at it the last time I took it in for service. I am including photos of where I am parking (in front of my house) and the mirror itself to see if anyone could offer some advice on how to get Subaru to take responsibility for something that appears to be a manufacturing defect.
Lara

View attachment 816 View attachment 816 View attachment 817 View attachment 817
I think you are correct and it is water causing the short creating the melting issue. See my post below.

I think you are correct and it is water causing the short creating the melting issue. See my post below.
We actually noticed it after a rain and after washing the car. Both times it happened after getting wet. We thought water might have been getting in the seam by the mirror. The seam on mine actually split open. Maybe water gets in the seam and the heated mirror mechanism shorts it or something. This is so crazy. I still haven’t gone to Subaru

I am sorry to hear that but I have gotten no answers, they have replaced 3 mirrors thus far and now my bumper is melting and the plastic underneath of the drivers side wheel casing.

You guys have better hope than I. My advisor told me it’s outside force, a lighter. I have a 2021 ascent and back side of my mirror is also that way. And the inner part on the sides where the lights are, are also melting. Still no answers. Have been fighting with Subaru about this.
I am sorry to hear that but I have gotten no answers, they have replaced 3 mirrors thus far and now my bumper is melting and the plastic underneath of the drivers side wheel casing.

Same! All of this! 2019 Subaru Forester... the side mirror panels (dark gray not sure if it correlates) are melting. We've gotten them replaced once already and have it lined up to do it again because this happened way quicker this time. We also live in a townhouse and got the suggestion that it is the reflection from windows. I worry it is something electrical due to the mirror warmer during the cars full heat warm up. It's warpes so badly that there is an area for water to get into it so that could be the issue too!! It's a lease so the dealership is at least being cooperative... but it is still odd that it's happening regardless. I'm glad I found individuals that are having the same issue!

I have a case started with Subaru. If anyone wants fo send their information over I can add it to the case number I have so I can have some back up that it’s not just me… because obviously they don’t believe me..

here is mine.. CAN ANYONE ELSE ADD A PHOTO OF THEIR MIRROR PLEASE?

Hello,
Lara

View attachment 816 View attachment 816 View attachment 817 View attachment 817

Attachments

• D53B45F9-4F3C-4D7E-8E80-F168A7E5FAE8.jpeg
    D53B45F9-4F3C-4D7E-8E80-F168A7E5FAE8.jpeg
    235.5 KB · Views: 86
My 2022 Ascent is melting on both sides over the past week. It started melting under the side view mirror today. Brought it to the dealer today since it is 45 minutes away. They pushed the reflection theory and said they would go to Subaru and see what they say.
99D814F0-7D3F-4F6D-A97D-43F88474A991.jpeg
B1503AFC-5A8C-4449-A4BA-F41B340E1A2C.jpeg

My Subaru 2018 outback also have the same issues, we noticed the rear right side of mirror cover start to melted, and we took the car back to dealership ,they charged us $300 to replace the mirror cover, after three months the issues back again, now my left side of mirror showing sign of melting. I attached the picture is the current condition after paid $3XX still look bad. We lived in Massachusetts cold weather all the time. Why it melted? And I don't see the window reflection on my car. I also want to know the answer and can someone organize so we all can file the same complaint. I also own a dark gray color.
PXL_20210922_130253314.jpg
PXL_20210921_192228430.jpg
PXL_20211015_190704394.jpg

Last edited:
2019 Outback (black). Southern California near the ocean. Never gets too hot. One day I find both mirror casings with significant melting. No good reason (residential parking on tree-lined street). All of this happened in one or two days. Two weeks later I find that my rear spoiler is melting in the same pattern. Obviously rules out the 'water in the casing' theory. I don't care if this is direct or reflected sun, or sunspots. No other make has this issue, which means that Subaru has a material defect issue. Cheap plastic? I am going to the dealer in a couple of days, but based on the notes above, not expecting a great response. Long shot: does someone make an aftermarket mirror casing that is higher quality?
Subaru 2.jpg
Subaru 3.jpg
Subaru 1.jpg

have 2018 Subaru Outback. Same problem with melting mirror covers. 90% time parked in garage. Contacted dealer, they replaced exterior mirror covers and within 3 days had melted again. No rain. They even put silicone at seams to prevent water seeping in. Passenger side worse. They have checked electrical systems. They have opened a technical ticket. They called to inquire about external heat sources in garage. There are no heaters in the garage. I've had this car since new Nov 2017. I see many posts relative to this issue. Why after 70 months would this happen all of the sudden and then happen again within 3 days? My dealer is great. The service manager is great. I love my Subi. I see this same issue posted on Lexsus, Subaru and others forums from 2015 forward. I have to wonder if it is only on autos with certain manufacturer of plastic body parts or those with electric exterior mirrors. It is a mystery.

I have a 2022 Subaru Crosstrek that I purchased new, 3 months ago. The driver side mirror began showing signs of melting 6 weeks after I bought it. Reluctantly, Subaru Canada covered the part, and my local dealership covered the labour "out of good faith", but indicated it was not a manufacture defect. They stated it was an environmental factor. 12 days after having it replaced, the exact same thing happened. This time with no offer of any compensation. If anyone has a suggestion on how to move forward, it would be appreciated. I have concerns that other areas will begin to degrade, like the plastic around the wheel wells.

I live in a small city of only 50,000 people. No high rises where convergence of light could occur. I park in my driveway and in a parking lot at our local hospital for work. There is no external heat source in either of these places. I have the Outdoor model....it is meant to be in outside in the environment

I have included a picture of each time it happened, as well as an image of the inside, showing that there does not appear to be any meltong from the inside to the outside.

Attachments

• 20221107_143753.jpg
    20221107_143753.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 20221026_160643.jpg
    20221026_160643.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20221026_160637.jpg
    20221026_160637.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 26
Took ownership of 23 Crosstrek on 9/25/22 in Dallas/TX and I have noticed evidence of melting damage to both of my side view mirrors particularly on driver side. I have read the other postings, in my case I believe the cause may have been the car wash dryer at the end of wash. I will post pics to show my damage. Wonder if any other Subaru drivers who have experience side view mirror melting else have had a similar experience and think their local carwash may be partly or fully responsible? I did take my Crosstrek in for servicing and asked about damage, dealership claims to have never have seen side view mirror melting and said the repair cost (will be on me. I did mention to dealership about my theory about the car wash and the rep bought it, probably because it takes the blame off Subaru.
I am thinking of taking my Crosstrek back to auto cleaning place and taking pics prior to cash wash and then immediately after to see if there is additional melting, what do I have to lose by going back to car wash to replicate the experiment

I have a case started with Subaru. If anyone wants fo send their information over I can add it to the case number I have so I can have some back up that it’s not just me… because obviously they don’t believe me..

CombustingSubaru has a similar theory about their may be a correlation to carwash place.

Ask a Question