Ignition lock cylinder wtf

Reaction score
96 Legacy Brighton, 2.2 manual. I lost my key, drilled out tumblers to move to ACC position to remove cylinder assembly. Bought new ignition lock cylinder and installed. The new cylinder locks, turns on accessories and switches to On, but will not “start.” It doesn’t power starter. I switched back to the drilled out assembly and using a screwdriver as key to turn cylinder and it fires right up. Switched back to new one and power, but no starter. There was a small paper insert included with the new lock cylinder that stated it “may” need programming and I assumed it was a standard insert for newer products.
Is there a programming routine for a 96 Legacy? There is no chip in the keys, I can’t see how I would have to program the switch to mate up to the car.
Any ideas, am I missing something? Can’t find anything online….
Thanks for ideas.

Recheck the installed / replacement ignition tumbler. You may have an after-market mechanical cylinder that does not rotate the electrical part of the start circuit. There is no programming for the mechanical component.

Ask a Question