1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon reoccurring ignition/electrical issue.

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this forum, so I hope I'm posting correctly. The problem in a nutshell: about 6 months ago my check engine light came on, so I took my car to Autozone and hooked it up to their complimentary computer. The code (forgot the code) showed that I most likely had a problem with my ignition coil. So I replaced my ignition coil, spark plugs, plug cables and reset the computer. The check engine light stayed off for two or three months and came back on. I hooked up the computer again and it showed the exact same code. Someone suggested that I run some fuel system cleaner through the car (carb/fuel injector cleaner), so I dumped some in the tank, ran the car hot and the check engine light turned off. A month later, same issue, same code. So now I'm stumped. What usually happens is I'll get on the highway and right around 60 to 65 mph the engine will start to shake, I feel a loss of power and the check engine light comes on. My gut tells me that it's probably a small problem, I just have no idea how to diagnose it without spending a lot of money I don't have. I'm a disabled Marine veteran and I don't have a lot of extra money to pay an expensive mechanic to diagnose this for me. Any help from the forum members would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Update: I cleaned my Mass Airflow censor and that seemed to do the trick.., for now anyways. If the check engine light comes back on, I'll replace the O2 censors. This isn't a very chatty forum, I'm starting to wonder if it's a dead forum?

Ask a Question