Ignition problems P030x Cylinder x Misfire

Reaction score
We have a 2007 B9 Tribeca with now ~147k miles on it. Starting in last fall, we started having ignition problems. Using a code reader gave us the P030x Cylinder x Misfire codes where x was at first 3. After a series of visits to the dealer they diagnosed it as the ignition coil pack on cylinder 3 and replaced it. The old coil pack was very sooty in appearance so it seemed a viable diagnosis.

After that it ran smoothly for a time but the problem reoccurred so they did the same thing on cylinder five. It again ran smoothly for a time but about a month ago started having problems again and so this time I got 6 new coil packs form 1A Auto and replaced numbers 2 & 4. At this point the packs for all except 1 & 6 have been replaced either by the dealer or myself.

This time it only ran smoothly for about a day before it again had ignition problems and now the code reader is listing cylinder 2 & 3 misfires(P0302 &P0303). Both of those have had the coil packs replaced.

I have not pulled either of those new coil packs to see if they are bad but I am now wondering if there is an underlying cause to these errors that I am not seeing. Or should I just replace 1 & 6 and have all new coil packs and see if that fixes it?
Any help is appreciated.

I'm having a similar issue with my 1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon. I can see that you posted this on March 26th of this year and unfortunately no one has answered, which doesn't give me much hope that my post will be answered. Have you been able to diagnose the problem for yourself?

Ask a Question