Odd compressor/fan noise after ignition off

Reaction score
2021 Forester with 44K miles. Just recently we have noticed an occasional noise coming from the back end of the car. We only hear it shortly after pulling into the garage and turning off the engine. It sounds like a small air compressor or fan of some sort. It lasts for a few minutes and then stops.

It seems loudest when I am lying underneath the back end of the car, but I have not been able to spot the specific component that is making the noise. I made a video that includes audio:

Is there any sort of fan that provides cooling to components in the rear of the vehicle?

FACT!
Any direct injection engine that is HOT and has been driven a distance AND the under hood temperature are HOT including fuel temperature, will have the fuel pump(s) remain ON (maintaining pressure) to prevent a "Hot Soak Condition" and or "fuel vapor locks".
When fuel temperature cools, the pumps disengage.

Occasionally the vehicle fuel tank emissions control system(s) will run a self test.
These tests run automatically but do not run for long periods of time.

Ask a Question