How to run diagnostics on BIU

Reaction score
Hi all, I've got a 2006 Subaru legacy gt 2.5L and its throwing a P1718 code meaning an issue with the CAN communication circuit. Someone told me that this could be a wiring harness issue that can be tracked using the diagnostics for the body integrated unit. I'm not sure how to do that though, and so far simple internet searches aren't doing the trick. Any pointers? thanks.

Your code is as good at the scan tool being used - OBD II correct?
Is it a no start condition? What transmission? Any more details?
Read this post, last entry for much better equipment that will help using an Android device.
https://www.thesubaruforums.com/threads/low-gas-mileage.13354/#post-66382

However, with these cables and a PC (FreeSSM):
VAG-K + CAN USB OR (FTDI) FT232BL USB
Access this link for FreeSSM:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/freessm.berlios/files/latest/download
Then you have a much better and inexpensive tool(s) that will use the SSM protocol.
The document is only a guide as to the fault code that was recorded.

Attachments

• P1718.pdf
    25.4 KB · Views: 6
Hi, yes it’s an OBD-II scanner, and the car seems to run just fine actually. It’s a 5 speed automatic transmission. As for other details, if you can tell me which details you need I’m sure I can get those. For now I’ll look into the hardware you linked me to, thanks!

The proper SSM protocol scan tool may offer more details and you'll need schematics to test network connectivity.
If there is a CAN Bus problem, these may help with decent tools.

My testing is with an oscilloscope and a CAN analyzer.

Attachments

• 2006 Subaru Lagacy Conputer Data Lines.pdf
    52.9 KB · Views: 4

Ask a Question