LOW GAS MILEAGE!

Reaction score
Hello fellow owners! My 2012 Tribeca 3.6L seems to be drinking as much gas as possible. I noticed the distance range on my display read exactly 90 miles remaining. After driving only 1.4 miles the display showed a range of 80 miles remaining which appears to be about 10mpg? The gas meter definitely runs down quickly and I am filling up more often. The car seems to run excellent and a pleasure to drive.

i thought so too but the maintenance records show that the plugs were replaced like 6 months ago. I will pull them and check to see if the records were true. I pulled the o2 sensors (upstream and downstream) and thoroughly cleaned them with carb cleaner. I noticed better gas mileage immediately but I am getting like 16mpg city and hway combined. I would like to get it up to 20mpg but the 6 cylinder boxer engine might just love to drink!

Mine has 109k miles. I just read that the Engine Coolant Temp Sensor is important to gas mileage and will lower MPG if it is faulty. I don't have any codes and I thought that these sensors are suppose to be lifetime? After 100k miles, I figure that it couldn't hurt to replace with a new one. I will let you know the results after I install it next week. I ordered the OEM replacement.

I have 210+k on mine. 14.7mpg average. Lol! I do need plugs and most likely 0² sensors. I've never changed them.

I have 210+k on mine. 14.7mpg average. Lol! I do need plugs and most likely 0² sensors. I've never changed them.
Congrats thats a lot of miles! 14.7mpg, I am probably getting 16 mpg. Even with all the cleaning and sensors changed.. I'm thinking these engines just drink gas. I don't expect better than 18mpg. I am wondering how Subaru every scored 21mpg for this model. In your case.. You can just pull the o2 sensors and clean them with carb cleaner. I did all of mine and noticed an immediate difference. I'm thinking that sparks should get changed by every 50k.

Have you changed the PVC valve? It can help, and shoud be done on occasion anyway to keep pressures in the engine down.

Have you changed the PVC valve? It can help, and shoud be done on occasion anyway to keep pressures in the engine down.
Yes i have changed the PCV valve. Just ordered the Engine Coolant Sensor and will change that too.

This is how a fault and fuel economy was corrected:
Tools used:
JDMscan Application
Cables:
VAG-K + CAN USB
OR
(FTDI) FT232BL USB
with OTG cable if Android supported

ActiveOBD Application
Bluetooth OBDLink MX +

Used screen recording software - Android AZRecorder

Occasional fault P0014 "B" Camshaft Position Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance
Occasional slight rough running depending on throttle application.

Using screen recording software, match the images with the four solenoids and play back.
Left and Right Intake
Left and Right Exhaust
Each Intake should follow each other
Each Exhaust should follow each other
If not, one or more solenoids is defective and do not discount garbage oil changes with long interval periods.
A leaking solenoid should be attended to.
Fuel quality is also a must, ethanol is garbage fuel.
1st image indicates the defect. The 2nd and 3rd indicate the repair.
Defective Right Exhaust Solenoid.png
JDMscan Replacement Exhaust Solenoid.png
Replacement Right Exhaust Solenoid.png

Ask a Question