Cvt issues after drain/fill.

Reaction score
Got a 2012 Impreza that I picked up suuuuuper cheap. 207k miles. Ive been in the garage replacing worn out parts to get it worthy of a commuter. Amongst everything I did, I drained amd filled all main fluids (oil, coolant, rear diff, front diff and cvt). I did a bunch of research prior and know the difference between the cvt and front diff drain and fill plug locations (have a subaru service manual that aided in this).

My issue is with possible CVT issue after fluid drain/fill. Shifting is erradic. RPM fluctuates more than normal. Driving 60-80mph, rpm fluctuates whether it's flat or rolling hills. Under 40 it isn't so apparent. If I use manual mode. It isn't as noticeable, but it's there.

The process I did for cvt drain/fill is as follows; i leveled car. Dropped cvt pan. I would estimate I emptied approx 5-6qrts (this is where I think I messed up, as i didnt keep track. I just empited into a 5gal bucket that had used fluids in it). I replaced filter. Installed pan. Removed cvt fill plug and filled cvt with 4qrts. Ran thru shift pattern and brought trans up to what I would guess is operating temp. Added another 4qrts of cvt. Didnt get any overflow out fill hole, as I would expect( manual states). So i added 2 more qrts. I ran car for awhile. Checked for leaks. Thought I was good to go.

Well today, I made a maiden voyage with the car, approx 30miles. I didn't notice the issue with the cvt/rpm right away. Initial travel was city driving, stop n go. 40mph, etc. I hit the interstate and thats when i noticed the symptoms. Im getting no noise from cvt.

Came back home and did some research. Apparrently a drain and fill of the cvt should be 5-6qrts. I put in 10.

Did I overfill? Would that cause the symptoms I'm experiencing? If no, what else could be the cause?

I'm not familiar with this, but yes, you can overfill liquids. They're designed to have a specific amount. I would drain the fluids, put in the proper amount, and see if symptoms persist and go from there.

Sometimes on older cars doing things like this is a bad idea without serious engine work, because all the gunk and crud is the only thing keeping the gaskets from leaking. But IDK how relevant that is here.

Ask a Question