2020 Crosstrek with CVT issues

Reaction score
Took my 2020 Crosstrek in for routine maintenance last week and was told that the CVT transmission needs to be replaced. Apparently they found metal shavings in the CVT fluid when they checked it. Dealer said it will be covered under warranty. My car is 3 years old with about 42,000 miles on it. Powertrain warranty covers to 5 years or 60k miles. I know that the CVT’s on older versions of Crosstrek had lots of issues which resulted in Subaru extending warranty on the CVT to 100k miles. However, every thing I found showed this extended warranty only being for 2013-2018 Subaru cars. Supposedly they fixed the issues after that. Since mine is a 2020 and my transmission already had an issue at 42k miles I’m trying to decide if it is a fluke or if Subaru will continue to have CVT issues. I’m debating if I should get rid of it before I hit 60k miles.

I absolutely love the car. Until I found out about the CVT I had been planning on keeping it and driving it for many years (hopefully over 200k miles). Not sure what to do now. Has anyone else had issues with their CVT on a 2019-2024 Crosstrek?

Took my 2020 Crosstrek in for routine maintenance last week and was told that the CVT transmission needs to be replaced. Apparently they found metal shavings in the CVT fluid when they checked it. Dealer said it will be covered under warranty. My car is 3 years old with about 42,000 miles on it. Powertrain warranty covers to 5 years or 60k miles. I know that the CVT’s on older versions of Crosstrek had lots of issues which resulted in Subaru extending warranty on the CVT to 100k miles. However, every thing I found showed this extended warranty only being for 2013-2018 Subaru cars. Supposedly they fixed the issues after that. Since mine is a 2020 and my transmission already had an issue at 42k miles I’m trying to decide if it is a fluke or if Subaru will continue to have CVT issues. I’m debating if I should get rid of it before I hit 60k miles.

I absolutely love the car. Until I found out about the CVT I had been planning on keeping it and driving it for many years (hopefully over 200k miles). Not sure what to do now. Has anyone else had issues with their CVT on a 2019-2024 Crosstrek?
My 2019 Crosstrek (75,000 mi) began clicking noise at low speeds going forward and it has been diagnosed (by very reputable Subaru mechanics) with CVT problems and nobody in area works on them, they just replace to the tune of $8000.

Ask a Question