Can I run slightly smaller diameter wheels+tires on my Forester?

Reaction score
I have a 2016 Forester which comes with 225/60R17 tires. This comes out to an 8.5 inch wide by 27.6 inch diameter wheel+tire.

I have a set of steel rims with Michelin X-Ice snow tires that I used on my previous 09 Forester. These are 205/65R16, which comes out to 8.1 inches wide by 26.5 inch diameter wheel+tire.

So I'm wondering if I can still use the snow tires+rims on my new Forster. Looks like my speedometer will be off a bit - will read 60 when I'm actually doing 57.5, and of course I'll have a correspondingly very slightly lower gear ratio. Apart from that, can anyone see a reason why I should not use these?

I live in Seattle and the car gets driven up to the ski areas and over the Cascade mountain passes quite a bit in winter. The snow tires really do work better than an "all season" tire when it's below freezing, and if I try to sell these and buy a new set, it will cost me quite a bit.

Any advice? Comment?

Thanks,

Duncan

If you already have them and they bolt right up, use them
They should work good
Let us know how it goes

Ask a Question