Buying 2002 Impreza outback

Reaction score
The car has 250,000 miles on it and is a manual. I love the thing and it was kept in mint condition interior and exterior. The previous owner does not know when head gaskets were replaced but says he has never seen any leaks or mixing of oil and coolant.

The hoses all looked good and there was no visible sign of head gasket damage but I am always worried.

We agreed on 2,000$

Should I buy it or is it too big of a gamble?

I'm not gonna answer that question. That is for you to decide. I think $2000 is a lot for a car with those miles. That said check the engine. Look where the head meets the block. Look for oil leaks. Coolant leaks back of the head. Oil pan generally rots out as well. Look at the suspension. Check to see how rusted it is and if there are any rust holes in the frame. If maintained right you can get 500k miles out of them. My 07 runs great. Frame rotted out. I live in the northeast. We use lots of salt. Those are some things to think about.

I'm not gonna answer that question. That is for you to decide. I think $2000 is a lot for a car with those miles. That said check the engine. Look where the head meets the block. Look for oil leaks. Coolant leaks back of the head. Oil pan generally rots out as well. Look at the suspension. Check to see how rusted it is and if there are any rust holes in the frame. If maintained right you can get 500k miles out of them. My 07 runs great. Frame rotted out. I live in the northeast. We use lots of salt. Those are some things to think about.
I appreciate it. I am heading over tonight for a test drive and am going to double check all of these things.

Ask a Question