Battery Change problems

Reaction score
Went to Costco and swapped out the battery myself on my 2017 2.5 Outback Limited. Checked with dealer service rep first about whether I would encounter any problems doing so. Was told I might have to reset radio presets. First thing I noticed is the rear camera cross traffic alerts are gone. Camera works but no alerts. Had previously done the seatbelt chime defeat trick. The chime is back. Also as noted elsewhere the passenger window does not work from drivers panel. God know what else is not working as before. Does all this require a dealer reset or is there something I can do? Thanks. BTW, this is my first post. Howdy

Howdy, and welcome to the forum!
Does all this require a dealer reset or is there something I can do? Thanks. BTW, this is my first post. Howdy

Unless you have previous electrical experience, I'd suggest bringing it to the dealer.

Last edited:
Yes, it never hurts to try, but trying alone can make things a lot worse.

The result: More time, expenses, and energy.

Probably good advice although, they are the ones who said I'd only lose radio pre-sets. I find that the dealerships in general are not too up to date on electronic issues. They need to hire more 14 year old geeks. The passenger window problem fix after battery change is on YouTube. Dread going through the seatbelt chime defeat procedure again. Thanks.

This afternoon, I backed it out of the driveway and had my wife walk back and forth behind me, with the car in reverse. Nothing. Just now, I was backing out of a 7-11 parking spot , when a car pulled in and the cross traffic alert lit up and it started beeping like crazy ?? Maybe it just no longer recognizes people or maybe it takes awhile to reset itself.

This afternoon, I backed it out of the driveway and had my wife walk back and forth behind me, with the car in reverse. Nothing. Just now, I was backing out of a 7-11 parking spot , when a car pulled in and the cross traffic alert lit up and it started beeping like crazy ?? Maybe it just no longer recognizes people or maybe it takes awhile to reset itself.

Sorry to hear John, this is not good news.

OK, I got both automatic windows fixed. The only thing that strikes me odd now is the cross traffic alert on the back-up camera. It no longer alerts for people walking behind the car but does recognize and alert for vehicles ??

Apparently, when you disconnect the battery, among other things, it cancels the auto down function on both drier and front passenger window. The solution is actually in the owners manual and on "old (occasionally) reliable YouTube".
With the engine running or on ACC, you roll the window half way down, then roll it back up and hold it for a second or two. After that, the auto up-down function returns. Now if I can only figure out why it is recognizing vehicles passing behind my car but not people. As close as I can ascertain, the owner's manual makes no other mention of what happens, when you disconnect the battery and how to correct it.

My dealer does not have good track record on electronics. Early on, I had a problem, where I would be driving down the road and my front speakers would go out for 5-10 seconds, then come back on. They replaced the radio, the amp and some module to no effect. They wanted to take out the dash and replace the wiring until I noticed it did the same thing, whenever I got a text but in this case, there was no text. They had to get some regional guy in to reboot the settings. It still does the same thing from time to time but at least I know what it is.

Ask a Question