Battery Drain and Starter Issues, Etc.

Reaction score
Hello..
I have a 2019 Outback and finally understand the battery drain issues. My starter is now reading bad. - would the weak batteries have led to the starter being bad already? Any other electrical components to be concerned about?

Thank you.

A weak or discharged battery will make a starter appear defective. The only possible test to measure a starter is with a carbon pile and a known good battery.
With a known good battery, the starter amperage draw should be tested at the negative battery cable with an Amp clamp. The same test will measure the network when it needs to enter sleep mode, key removed and at least the drivers door latched and all doors with rear gate closed.
The average parasitic test should be approx. 0.050 to 0.030 mA when the network is in sleep mode. That is the best test for a parasitic draw. If there is a draw, test each fuse with a meter in the mV range (across each pin). High readings will offer the circuit that may be alive an cause the issue.

Awesome. Thank you.
Would a diagnostics at Subaru be able to show that?
I don’t have the equipment, etc.
Thanks again.

A diagnostic session with Subaru will indicate faults. A knowledgeable technician would test the battery and indicate a pass or fail. With a quality battery, the starter would pass or fail.
The parasitic draw if there is one, will also indicate if there is a controller that is active on the network.
That test is monitored over time.
There are Independent shops that offer the identical tests besides the Subaru dealer.
No mater the vehicle model or make, all the tests mentioned are identical except for models that control and manage the SOC (State of Charge) That type of system is designed to control what is "alive / active" and put them to sleep to maintain the SOC and ensure the vehicle starts of the next key revolution.
If there is an added component that is not factory or OEM, mention that factor as well.

Ask a Question