98 Legacy power draw??

vzl

Reaction score
Recently purchased a 98 legacy gt for $1000, 99k Miles. Pretty happy about it. It worked well to start, me and a buddy re ran rear brake lies due to Minnesota rust eating them. At some point my buddy got angry at the car and kicked the dash under the steering wheel. We also let the battery die by leaving the doors open for a few days. After jumping the battery we had to reset the security system, no problem there. But since then, the radio hasn’t turned on (aftermarket deck) and it can’t hold a battery charge for more than 20 minutes. I parked it running fine, checked the battery voltage with a multimeter every hour for 3 hours starting right after I shut it off. 13.7 and dropping, 12.7, 12.5, 12.4. Seems pretty normal, wasn’t moving from 12.4. So I tried starting it, key in on position, the headlights and dash lights are all very dim, try cranking won’t even try. I know I can jump it and run it fine, and I’ve tried 2 different batteries now and think I’ve ruled out the possibility that it’s the battery. I’ve cleaned the terminal connectors well and checked the grounds to chassis and to starter. I just can’t figure out why it would be dying so fast even with good voltage on the battery. Takes about 20 minutes for it to go dead from when I shut it off. My guess would be something with the fuse block was knocked around or something loose under the dash. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ask a Question