2013 outback timing chain snapped

Reaction score
wondering if this has happened to anyone else with an outback or any subaru.

driving on the highway yesterday at 70 mph. timing chain/ tensioners snapped and the engine seized. car is completely dead.

subaru dealership said these chains are supposed to last forever but he has seen this before. of course he was very vague and evasive because he works for the dealership so I want to know if this has happened to anyone else?

car has 126,000 miles and is 9 years old.

This event has been noticed before at an independent shop. There were no clear answers as to service for that model but one can only guess as to the "dirty stains" within the timing chain area.
In that case and because the engine was rotating at high RPM, the pistons clashed with the open valves.
Search these key words: interference fit Subaru engine.
That search should describe your engine is an "interference fit" model.
In that particular case, the entire engine was replaced because of the rebuild cost and available parts.
If you do opt for a rebuilt replacement "long block", use high quality oil and filters.
If you opt for a used replacement, have the timing cover removed and inspect the timing mechanisms, of course migrate to high quality oil and filters.
Ensure the PCV system is also serviced at all times.

wondering if this has happened to anyone else with an outback or any subaru.

driving on the highway yesterday at 70 mph. timing chain/ tensioners snapped and the engine seized. car is completely dead.

subaru dealership said these chains are supposed to last forever but he has seen this before. of course he was very vague and evasive because he works for the dealership so I want to know if this has happened to anyone else?

car has 126,000 miles and is 9 years old.
hi thanks for sharing and sorry to hear about your troubles, did you repair or junk it? I think this would could easily be a $7K repair or more.
Did you have any warnings before-hand. Rattling grinding noise from engine on startup? I ask because we bought a low mileage 106K mile 2013 OB and i am worried about the cam assembly and chain, i think the old adage " never buy the first year of anything" applies here.

Ask a Question