2013 Impreza - CVT

Reaction score
2013 Subaru Impreza premium with CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission)

- Car is just under 10 years on the road, just under 125,000 miles.
- Brought it in for a check engine light.
- Dealer repair estimate is over $10,000 (over half of that is engine & transmission repair), appraisal for trade in value is $500.

Paid $22,000 new including extended powertrain warranty.

At some point Subaru realized the CVT had problems and they extended the powertrain warranty for free (up to 100,000 miles).
So, I paid for the extended warranty for nothing.

After I had signed all the paperwork and was waiting for the car to be ready, the salesman casually mentioned that the CVT transmission is sealed and not serviceable and is recommended to get rebuilt at 80,000 miles at a cost of 2 to 3 thousand. If I had known that very important detail earlier, I might not have bought it. At this point, I do not want to buy another.

We had a Toyota Corolla that went 230,000 miles (not CVT) and it lasted 14 years and was still driveable when traded in.

Any thoughts on this?

"CVT transmission is sealed and not serviceable" B.S. on that statement.
Rebuilt CVT transmissions can be found as a rebuilt complete unit.
There is no mention of engine repair but question the "intelligence" of the salesperson.
Have a conversation with the Technician and ask for the recorded reports on the engine and transmission.

daughter had same problem with 2015 crosstrek fixed under warrenty she drives it hard and put a lot of miles
fixed but now has intermittent power loss with no codes or faults coming up so no one knows what to do.

daughter had same problem with 2015 crosstrek fixed under warrenty she drives it hard and put a lot of miles
fixed but now has intermittent power loss with no codes or faults coming up so no one knows what to do.
OBD II scan tools will never offer a true story or network recorded fault codes. Find a better tool or technician.
Those transmissions need service with OEM CVT fluid / filters every other year "despite" what the dealer expresses.
Been there, done that!

Ask a Question