2013 Impreza dies when starting and wants to die when stopping

Reaction score
Hi guys! New to the forum but have had several Subarus and have used the forums for so much help! My wife has a 2013 Subaru Impreza wagon. About a year ago her transmission valve body went bad. I finally got one from pick a part for $200 because I couldn’t afford the $800+ it was going to cost from a dealer without labor. It’s all installed and seems to be working well. Her car does burn oil like many around this year from what I’ve heard. Therefore we changed the spark plugs while we were in there and cleaned the throttle body (not as good as we should have) . Now I’m having the issue of the car starting and then dying before it can idle, (this usually only happens when the car is warm). When you give it a little tap of the throttle it won’t die and will idle. It also acts like it wants to die when coming to a stop but catches itself.

Clean the throttle body on the car or off the car.
Clean the throttle body idling on not.
How much "mechanic-in-a-can" was used.
Did you create a vacuum leak or is there one evident?

Clean the throttle body on the car or off the car.
Clean the throttle body idling on not.
How much "mechanic-in-a-can" was used.
Did you create a vacuum leak or is there one evident?
The throttle body was cleaned when it was off the car. Doesn’t seem to be a vacuum leak but it is throwing an O2 sensor code. Hoping that may be the issue?

Control modules "record" faults and there is more than one Oxygen Sensor.
With a scan tool, the throttle body voltage / angle in percentage can be measured and that also includes the throttle pedal (Drive X Wire). If the throttle body and throttle pedal test OK, move onto a vacuum leak test.
With a schematic, look for an EGR system, they get stuck and create a vacuum leak. Test the brake booster, at times they have internal leaks. Measure the Oxygen Sensors with a scan tool and note that external forces and other variations will record an Oxygen Sensor fault = lean or rich voltage output.

Ask a Question