2013 Forester Losing Oil - No Smoke

Reaction score
Hello all, first post.

I bought a 2013 Forester 2.5x non-turbo about 6 months ago. Since then, it has been losing oil at an exhorbitant rate. I know about the piston ring issue, but is it likely to be eating 5 quarts in under 1500 miles?

There is no leakage under the vehicle at all, and I have never seen gray smoke coming out the tailpipe, so where is it all going?

If it's the camshaft carrier re-seal issue, wouldn't that still produce smoke or drop oil?

I inquired about getting a remanufactured engine, and one place told me this was a "special" engine for the 2013 model and would cost $6500 for the engine alone, so I really don't want to do that.

Just really flummoxed by this issue...thanks for any insight.

Hello all, first post.

I bought a 2013 Forester 2.5x non-turbo about 6 months ago. Since then, it has been losing oil at an exhorbitant rate. I know about the piston ring issue, but is it likely to be eating 5 quarts in under 1500 miles?

There is no leakage under the vehicle at all, and I have never seen gray smoke coming out the tailpipe, so where is it all going?

If it's the camshaft carrier re-seal issue, wouldn't that still produce smoke or drop oil?

I inquired about getting a remanufactured engine, and one place told me this was a "special" engine for the 2013 model and would cost $6500 for the engine alone, so I really don't want to do that.

Just really flummoxed by this issue...thanks for any insight.
Thats funny i just bought one of these too with the same exact issue. 1 quart about 300 miles,

Ask a Question