'17 Legacy loses grip in first snow!

Reaction score
I bought a 2017 Legacy this summer specifically because of the AWD (I live in upstate NY). I see lots of Subarus on the road around here and assumed that the AWD was a big region. This one came with 32k miles, I've put about 12k on it so far.

We had our first snow today, only about 1-2 inches on the roads, which is usually no big deal even in a FWD vehicle. I took the car out to see how the AWD did, and honestly it was terrible. The car slipped a few times, was very jerky braking at stop signs, and even slid off the road into a ditch! Luckily it bounced out of the ditch and I didn't get stuck and need a tow. But I haven't had that happen in many years, even with FWD vehicles. I wasn't pushing things at all, I was going below the speed limit, and again there isn't all that much snow on the roads.

I am incredibly disappointed and frustrated, and wonder what I should do. My tires are Goodyear, I assume original to the car and have 45k miles on them. That's getting up there but I would think they still have another 10k in them, and the tread wear isn't that bad.

I'm not sure what to do. My mechanic doesn't specialize in this kind of work. I have a transmission guy but he works very slowly and I won't have the car for a week or two if I take it to him. Maybe take it to a dealer and have them do an assessment?

I welcome any advice here, I am really upset and feel like I somehow ended up with a lemon. The one reason I bought the car was AWD and it skids off the road in the first snow, very frustrating!

There is a remarkable difference between the average "all season" and winter tires. AWD means nothing when there is no traction and the summer treads are as solid as ice. Winter tires however can "spit the snow and ice" out of the deeper / grooved treads and the rubber is much softer in freezing conditions. "All season tires will pack snow and ice into the treads.
New / modern versions of winter tires also have "directional" treads.
Get winter tires mounted on steel wheels and you'll thank me later.

just bought '12 Legacy, 6 spd man.I sprang for extra $500 snowtire/rims from private owner. A/S were better handling w/ AWD, vs my '12 camry; these dirctnl snowtires are insane! I chllngd them, drove into 6" snow in sloped ditch. It crawled thru never slipping. I did not break traction on hill starting from stopsign.Sub's are popular in Wis', and 75% have snow tires on them in 'winter'. I am so relieved 17 yo son & I purchased.

Ask a Question