04 legacy knocking/lean codes

Reaction score
So I'm kinda stuck, my daughter ran her car (ref. Title of thread) out of gas and after filling it has had a hard time starting it. My son looked at it and was able to get it to start but now it runs rough and has a terrible knock. In the process of looking at it he managed to clear the codes but said it had a bank 1 lean code. I think he is referring to p0171 but he's not sure, also he can't remember if there were any other codes.

It's a 2.5L N/A M/T

I'm just not familiar with subarus and without codes to go on not sure where to go or what to check. Fuel pump/ injector/ intake/ o2/ iat/ etc.

I'm a little nervous running it to get the lean code to come back because of the knock.

On a separate note, how hard is a front timing cover on this engine, hers is old with cracks and holes

Tyia

Bit if an update, since no help was found I took it to a shop, they said based on the knock and sparkles in the oil (I didn't see it) that the engine is done,

Will a JDM EJ253 swap be worth it and will it be pretty straight forward? Or is it going to be some convoluted Frankenstein operation that requires harness mods etc.?

Get the oil filter off and open it. The evidence is there.
As for an engine replacement, use the original version and save the headache.

Ask a Question