Starlink USB MP3 music file order and album cover art display

Reaction score
I have searched for a comprehensive guide on how to get the Starlink multimedia system to play MP3 music files in filename order and to display album art for MP3 files, but have not found a guide that clearly explains how to do that all in one place.

This post is intended to assist anyone who has wondered how to get the Starlink multimedia system to play MP3 music from a USB stick in a particular order and how to get their album art to display. This may work for other devices as well, but I am using a USB stick that is less than 32 GB (mine is 16 GB) and is formatted to the FAT32 file system.

The vehicle that I have is a 2017 Subaru Forester Premium with the Starlink multimedia system. These methods may work for other Subaru models or years, or other devices/formats, but I can only describe what has worked for me with my 2017 Forester and Starlink system.

In years past, I have had a number of different multimedia systems in various vehicles and it became evident that some systems organize the MP3 file play order by when each MP3 file is copied to the media device (USB stick or SD card). This is not a useful or intuitive way to organize albums or playlists. I have adopted some methods using the Windows operating system (I currently use Windows 10, but had used Windows 7 in the past for the same purpose) which have worked for me.

I start by creating folders on the USB stick in the order that I want them to be organized, since the folders appear to be sorted in the date order that they are created (and not by folder name) same as the MP3 files.

In my case, I wanted to have folders that contain no more than 250 MP3 files each (may be safer to have less than 200, but up to 250 seems to work). So, I have folders named 101, 102, 201, 202, 301, 302, etc. Each folder sorts my music into a particular category (or playlist of sorts) where I can organize files to play in the order that I want.

I also developed a numeric file naming convention that adds a prefix to the various songs from each album to copy and play in the order that I want. I use software named "Bulk Rename Utility" for this purpose.

Ordered like this:
(Artist 01, Album 01, Track 01, Song title)
010101 - Song title 1
010102 - Song title 2

Second album, same artist:
010201 - Song title 1

Second artist, first album:
020101 - Song title 1

It is not necessary to rename the files in this manner, but it helps for the next step - copying the files to the USB stick.

Windows does not appear to copy files in any particular order (or at least not in alphabetical order) if you copy all of the contents of a folder at once. So, I selectively copy the first 5 or 10 files over to the USB stick (dragging via right click on the first file) into the folder that I created previously (starting with folder 101). Then Windows will copy those files in alphabetical/filename order. After those first 5 or 10 files are copied, I copy the rest of the folder (up to a total of 250 files) again, dragging via right click on the first file over to the folder in the USB stick. The MP3 files should copy over in alphabetical/filename order using this method.

If you find that Windows does not copy them as intended, go through and try again (more carefully) using the steps above and Windows should copy the files in the proper order onto the USB stick.

You could just copy folders per artist/album, but that results in multiple folders (possibly too many for the system to recognize) and it is difficult to properly copy them over in order. If you want to use that method, then you would want to copy the MP3 files for each album by breaking up each album as if copying into one of the numbered folders described above.

The above described method should then allow the Starlink system to play the music in the order that you would like when not in shuffle mode (you can still shuffle your music, but I also enjoy being able to play music in a particular album/playlist order).

The next issue that I had was with the Starlink System not displaying album art, even though I had made sure that all of the MP3 files had album art embedded into the file using the software "MP3tag". I found some helpful information on another Subaru forum that mentioned that both file size and aspect ratio were important (I would want to give them credit, but do not want to break any forum rules in this post, so I apologize in advance for the somewhat obscure reference here).

In any case, it appears that the Starlink system only recognizes album art that is under 1 MB, and it also needs to be in an exact square format with 100 dpi increments (300 x 300, 200 x 200, etc.). I set all of my album art to 300 x 300 using MP3tag, which allows you to do this via a quick action in the top menu.

However, that did not necessarily work at first, as the MP3tag software keeps the original aspect ratio. If the album art image is reduced in size, but is 300 x 299, it would need to be resized to 300 x 300 in order to work with the Starlink system. I used the software "IrfanView" to resize the album art images, and modify the aspect ratio, but any photo software which allows image resizing could be used.

I recommend adjusting the album art (on a laptop/desktop) as the first step, then copying the files over into the folders that were created on the USB stick as described above. If you take those steps, you will hopefully be able to listen to music in the order that you want and be able to see all of your album art on your Starlink screen.

I have searched for a comprehensive guide on how to get the Starlink multimedia system to play MP3 music files in filename order and to display album art for MP3 files, but have not found a guide that clearly explains how to do that all in one place.

This post is intended to assist anyone who has wondered how to get the Starlink multimedia system to play MP3 music from a USB stick in a particular order and how to get their album art to display. This may work for other devices as well, but I am using a USB stick that is less than 32 GB (mine is 16 GB) and is formatted to the FAT32 file system.

The vehicle that I have is a 2017 Subaru Forester Premium with the Starlink multimedia system. These methods may work for other Subaru models or years, or other devices/formats, but I can only describe what has worked for me with my 2017 Forester and Starlink system.

In years past, I have had a number of different multimedia systems in various vehicles and it became evident that some systems organize the MP3 file play order by when each MP3 file is copied to the media device (USB stick or SD card). This is not a useful or intuitive way to organize albums or playlists. I have adopted some methods using the Windows operating system (I currently use Windows 10, but had used Windows 7 in the past for the same purpose) which have worked for me.

I start by creating folders on the USB stick in the order that I want them to be organized, since the folders appear to be sorted in the date order that they are created (and not by folder name) same as the MP3 files.

In my case, I wanted to have folders that contain no more than 250 MP3 files each (may be safer to have less than 200, but up to 250 seems to work). So, I have folders named 101, 102, 201, 202, 301, 302, etc. Each folder sorts my music into a particular category (or playlist of sorts) where I can organize files to play in the order that I want.

I also developed a numeric file naming convention that adds a prefix to the various songs from each album to copy and play in the order that I want. I use software named "Bulk Rename Utility" for this purpose.

Ordered like this:
(Artist 01, Album 01, Track 01, Song title)
010101 - Song title 1
010102 - Song title 2

Second album, same artist:
010201 - Song title 1

Second artist, first album:
020101 - Song title 1

It is not necessary to rename the files in this manner, but it helps for the next step - copying the files to the USB stick.

Windows does not appear to copy files in any particular order (or at least not in alphabetical order) if you copy all of the contents of a folder at once. So, I selectively copy the first 5 or 10 files over to the USB stick (dragging via right click on the first file) into the folder that I created previously (starting with folder 101). Then Windows will copy those files in alphabetical/filename order. After those first 5 or 10 files are copied, I copy the rest of the folder (up to a total of 250 files) again, dragging via right click on the first file over to the folder in the USB stick. The MP3 files should copy over in alphabetical/filename order using this method.

If you find that Windows does not copy them as intended, go through and try again (more carefully) using the steps above and Windows should copy the files in the proper order onto the USB stick.

You could just copy folders per artist/album, but that results in multiple folders (possibly too many for the system to recognize) and it is difficult to properly copy them over in order. If you want to use that method, then you would want to copy the MP3 files for each album by breaking up each album as if copying into one of the numbered folders described above.

The above described method should then allow the Starlink system to play the music in the order that you would like when not in shuffle mode (you can still shuffle your music, but I also enjoy being able to play music in a particular album/playlist order).

The next issue that I had was with the Starlink System not displaying album art, even though I had made sure that all of the MP3 files had album art embedded into the file using the software "MP3tag". I found some helpful information on another Subaru forum that mentioned that both file size and aspect ratio were important (I would want to give them credit, but do not want to break any forum rules in this post, so I apologize in advance for the somewhat obscure reference here).

In any case, it appears that the Starlink system only recognizes album art that is under 1 MB, and it also needs to be in an exact square format with 100 dpi increments (300 x 300, 200 x 200, etc.). I set all of my album art to 300 x 300 using MP3tag, which allows you to do this via a quick action in the top menu.

However, that did not necessarily work at first, as the MP3tag software keeps the original aspect ratio. If the album art image is reduced in size, but is 300 x 299, it would need to be resized to 300 x 300 in order to work with the Starlink system. I used the software "IrfanView" to resize the album art images, and modify the aspect ratio, but any photo software which allows image resizing could be used.

I recommend adjusting the album art (on a laptop/desktop) as the first step, then copying the files over into the folders that were created on the USB stick as described above. If you take those steps, you will hopefully be able to listen to music in the order that you want and be able to see all of your album art on your Starlink screen.

What does StarLink have to do with playing your own media files? It’s like Bluetooth has no interaction with StarLink unless I’m missing something that Subaru does something odd. Thanks for your post.

What does StarLink have to do with playing your own media files? It’s like Bluetooth has no interaction with StarLink unless I’m missing something that Subaru does something odd. Thanks for your post.

There may be some confusion between the Starlink satellite internet service offered by Space X and the STARLINK® Multimedia system found in Subaru vehicles.

Starlink is the name of the multimedia system for the 2017 Subaru Forester and other similar years/models. So, we could just call Starlink the multimedia system (or radio/stereo head unit if you prefer). It is my understanding that the Bluetooth feature does indeed pass through the Starlink multimedia system in order to play music files from a phone (or other device), but that is not relevant to this post, which instead focuses on accessing a library of music files that are placed on a USB stick and inserted into one of the USB ports in the vehicle (no phone or Bluetooth required).

The intended audience for this post are people who want to play their own MP3 files (as well as other recognized formats) from a USB stick without having to connect a phone or other separate media device (via Bluetooth or other means). The primary benefit of this approach is that you do not need to have a phone (or other device) charged, turned on, or otherwise interfacing with the Starlink (stereo) system in your vehicle in order to listen to music. In fact, you would not need a phone at all to listen to music if your files are on a USB stick. The USB stick does not require a separate power source (or Bluetooth connection) as it is plugged directly into the vehicle. Additionally, by using a USB stick, you are able to listen to music without concern of going in and out of cell service areas if your alternative is to access music from a streaming platform from a phone or other wireless connected device.

Many people today have given up on owning their own music (which I feel is a shame, but that is a separate conversation) and use streaming services to access music that they do not own directly (relying on a potentially limited streaming library and algorithms to determine the music that they will be able to listen to).

This guide is not for people who want to use their phone (or other media player) to stream music (or otherwise access files on the device via Bluetooth). This guide is intended for people who own a library of their own music files and wish to play them in a specific order from a USB stick through the Starlink multimedia (stereo) system in their Subaru vehicle.

Last edited:
Ok but this is Subaru forum with the only associated name of StarLink representing nothing related to media or Bluetooth. That is the reason why this post is confusing and because the StarLink to which you refer isn’t related to users here for any Subrau issue. I’m surprised your post wasn’t removed by the moderator even though it was well meaning it has nothing to do with Subaru related issues.
Thanks

Ok but this is Subaru forum with the only associated name of StarLink representing nothing related to media or Bluetooth. That is the reason why this post is confusing and because the StarLink to which you refer isn’t related to users here for any Subrau issue. I’m surprised your post wasn’t removed by the moderator even though it was well meaning it has nothing to do with Subaru related issues.
Thanks

It is unfortunate that you feel that the original post would not be helpful to Subaru drivers.

The Subaru Starlink multimedia system is definitely a stock component of many Subaru models and vehicle years, as noted on the Subaru.com websites:

https://www.subaru.com/vehicle-info/subaru-starlink.html
https://www.subaru.com/subaru-starlink/starlink-multimedia.html

In my opinion, a stock multimedia (stereo) system, such as Subaru Starlink multimedia system is something that is relevant to the use and operation of one of the stock features of a Subaru vehicle. As the media playback method is determined by the firmware installed in the stock Starlink multimedia system, the information contained in the initial post may be helpful to some Subaru owners/operators who would like to have their music files play properly on the stock multimedia system.

As in any forum, a moderator is welcome to remove any post found to be inaccurate, inappropriate, or otherwise in violation of forum policies.

Attachments

• Subaru Starlink Multimedia.jpg
    Subaru Starlink Multimedia.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
My Subrau is a 2021 Forester T (my first Subrau) with a Harmon Kardon multimedia system, similar to a Panasonic, Sony or other hardware manufacturer. Starlink is a Subrau partnership with all sorts of optional subscription packages, all dependent upon the cellular network of ATT. There is some integration to the multimedia system but it’s only for monitoring the vehicle for maintenance or accident as long as there is ATT cellular service. I simply cannot see a connection to the music selection and the Starlink partnership unless Starlink has some sort of agreement with Spotify or other 3rd party vendor. These vendors do not set playback capability in any way, the multimedia hardware, MP3 player/radio does this. My only point here,

Thanks

My Subrau is a 2021 Forester T (my first Subrau) with a Harmon Kardon multimedia system, similar to a Panasonic, Sony or other hardware manufacturer. Starlink is a Subrau partnership with all sorts of optional subscription packages, all dependent upon the cellular network of ATT. There is some integration to the multimedia system but it’s only for monitoring the vehicle for maintenance or accident as long as there is ATT cellular service. I simply cannot see a connection to the music selection and the Starlink partnership unless Starlink has some sort of agreement with Spotify or other 3rd party vendor. These vendors do not set playback capability in any way, the multimedia hardware, MP3 player/radio does this. My only point here,

Thanks

It appears that issue that you are raising is a disagreement (or simple miscommunication) regarding the name of the combined stereo system, multimedia device, software, and user interface for the multimedia system.

The main topic of this conversation is the music playback on the stock Subaru multimedia (stereo) system. We don't need to call the multimedia system Starlink, but that is what Subaru calls the combined multimedia system package and interface in the 2017 model year (with physical electronic components that are probably manufactured by a number of different Japanese electronics companies over various model years). The multimedia system in my 2017 Subaru is branded as Starlink and all audio sources (radio/CD/USB/etc.) are accessed and operated through the Starlink interface.

The confusion may be that Subaru also uses the Starlink name and brand for their remote wireless access subscription service (using the same name for both). The use of the same name for both the multimedia system and the subscription wireless access service does indeed present an opportunity for confusion and miscommunication. This post is about the Starlink multimedia system and not about the Starlink wireless access subscription service (which allows remote access, automatic collision notification, remote emergency services, etc.)

Regardless of the electronics manufacturer, the (unnamed) multimedia system in the 2017 Forester uses an odd and almost unworkable file management system when reading from a hard drive such as a USB device. The (unnamed) multimedia system reads files from a USB connected drive in the order in which they were copied to the device (which is not intuitive or easy to work with, since files are often copied out of sequence depending on the operating system used). The file play order (by date/time copied to the device) is a feature of the firmware that is included in the stock Subaru multimedia system (at least in the 2017 model year). It can be difficult and frustrating to figure out if you are not familiar with what the multimedia system is doing in terms of media playback. Since using a USB stick to play music files is something that some Subaru owners might want to do, the original post provides instructions on how to work with the limitations imposed by the stock Subaru multimedia system.

In summary, the original post was intended to help people organize their files to work with the odd and unusual file management system that Subaru has provided in the stock multimedia system.

Last edited:
It is possible that people who are not located in the US would call the audio/multimedia system by a different name. I am located in the US, and my multimedia system is identified as: "STARLINK TM 6.2 Multimedia"

This is from the 2017 Subaru Forester manual (Audio section - Page 5-5):

This display audio set is referred to as follows.
. U.S. customers: STARLINK TM 6.2 Multimedia
. Canadian customers: 6.2-inch infotainment system

Thankyou forestr3r, this is indeed very helpful, and in exactly the correct place. I always use USB mp3's for my music in the car and could not for the life of me figure out why my Forester would list everything in a weird order... now perhaps I will be able to find the albums I want to listen to without scrolling back & forth whilst driving and not paying attention to the road.

I'm glad to hear that it was helpful to you. I have found that it make take a few attempts to get it to work just right. Sometimes I have had to re-copy the entire folder contents a couple of times when adding files. Then I test the USB in the car to ensure that the play order is as intended.

I've been happy with the results and no phone/device or streaming service is needed to listen to my music.

Ask a Question