Rear Hatch Mysteriously Opens

Reaction score
My Outback has a power lift rear hatch. Mysteriously, about once every three months I get up in the morning and find that the hatch has spontaneously opened during the night, even with the doors locked. Because of the dome lights burning all night, in most cases the battery is dead. A quick jump start gets me going again, but I don't much fancy my car (which is parked outside) standing open all night. So far, no passersby have taken advantage of this opportunity to loot the car, but it's only a matter of time before someone does. I take the key fob out of my pocket at night....It's got me baffled, and the dealership has been of no help. Anyone else out there experiencing this?

2019 Subaru Outback 3.6L
Trim level and Ignition key type will help. Three to choose from.
If unknown, the VIN will narrow the trim level.

Attachments

• 2019 Outback.png
    2019 Outback.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 3
2019 Subaru Outback 3.6L
Key is the proximity fob type. I didn't really pay much attention to the trim level at the time...I was principally interested in snagging one of the last of the 6 cyl cars...it was the only one they had left. I'll check the VIN number and get back.

2019 Subaru Outback 3.6L
3.6R Limited.... Also, the passenger side front window will occasionally stop responding to the driver side switch. Then after 4-5 days, it works again...?

2019 Subaru Outback 3.6L Limited
Have a professional inspect the drivers door wiring harness (damage or short circuits) and switch in the driver door panel.
If for any reason there was any water (rain, ice, snow) on the switch assembly, the circuitry (switch, wiring) may be oxidized.
An oxidized circuit may enable the "open" command.
The driver switch is the master control for all windows.

Proximity keys should be protected from thieves that steal key data, use a Faraday Cage for all keys on the person or home.
ie: https://www.amazon.ca/Upgraded-Faraday-TICONN-Premium-Protector/dp/B07MDF5TX9

Check the proximity key for water damage as well.
A dealer tool can inspect the network for anomalies and offer a report.

2019 Subaru Outback 3.6L Limited
Have a professional inspect the drivers door wiring harness (damage or short circuits) and switch in the driver door panel.
If for any reason there was any water (rain, ice, snow) on the switch assembly, the circuitry (switch, wiring) may be oxidized.
An oxidized circuit may enable the "open" command.
The driver switch is the master control for all windows.

Proximity keys should be protected from thieves that steal key data, use a Faraday Cage for all keys on the person or home.
ie: https://www.amazon.ca/Upgraded-Faraday-TICONN-Premium-Protector/dp/B07MDF5TX9

Check the proximity key for water damage as well.
A dealer tool can inspect the network for anomalies and offer a report.
Many thanks for the advice. I usually avoid taking the car to the dealership, but it may be unavoidable in this case. I've already ordered the Faraday cage.

If a solution is finally found, post that solution /cure for the readers.
You're welcome.

Ask a Question