2019 Outback rear hatch opens by itself

Reaction score
2019 Outback rear hatch opens by itself. Came home and found the back hatch open, anyone else had this happen?.. Thought it possible an accidental bump on the FOB, but, not likely......also few months ago had the radio not work 2-3 times, then next day works fine.

2019 Outback rear hatch opens by itself. Came home and found the back hatch open, anyone else had this happen?.. Thought it possible an accidental bump on the FOB, but, not likely......also few months ago had the radio not work 2-3 times, then next day works fine.
I have the same problem with the lift gate opening on its own. It has happened 5 times this month. Twice the battery was drained and I had to get a jump. I have reset the gate, made sure the memory button was disingaged, put my key fob in a safe place. I would check the car before retiring, and find the gate opened in the morning. I am afraid to leave the car in a parking lot, for fear in would happen and The car would get looted. My Subaru dealer is at a loss, and will not do anything unless it happens in front of them.

Hey guys, I took mine to the dealer, like I said they put some kind of update on the car computer to hopefully fix the radio problem...they also said it may fix the hatch problem....it's been close to two years and hasn't happened again...sorry but dont recall what actual program was called. You may try checking for any radio updates at the dealer and see if you get some progress that way...good luck....by the way, it was Louis Thomas Subaru in Parkersburg WVa...

If the problem not gone and dealer don't apply for free repair, try to adjust lower lock (don't know the right name of this part)

Attachments

• j501saj450.jpg
    j501saj450.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 107
This just happened on my 2022 Outback.
It happens quite often on my 2022. I think maybe the key fob buttons are too prominent. I wish Subaru would make an entirely new key fob with recessed buttons. Its a problem.

Just started having the same problem with my 2019 Outback. Hatch opened while car was parked in the garage and this morning the battery needed a jump start. I had to manually close the hatch. It happened twice this week. I brought it to the Subaru dealer who checked it out and found nothing wrong except tightened the battery node. I was told that if the battery is low from the hatch being open, then the button may not work to open and close. When I started the car to go home, the hatch opened right at the service area. I showed a service tech what happened and then it closed by itself. Bringing it back after Thanksgiving. I was told that maybe a radio frequency is doing it. It has happened 6 times that I know of in the last 4 days.

This just started happening to my 2019 Outback. Two times in the past two weeks. The first time I was lucky and I was just playing 9 holes of golf and got back in time before the battery died. Today I woke up and the same thing happened and this time the battery was completely dead.

This just started happening to my 2019 Outback. Two times in the past two weeks. The first time I was lucky and I was just playing 9 holes of golf and got back in time before the battery died. Today I woke up and the same thing happened and this time the battery was completely dead.
..Took mine to the Subi lot when this happened the last time, they told me there was a "Radio Upgrade" that they could do that is somehow tied into this..they added the program, hasn't happened since..been over two years?..good luck..

Hey guys, I took mine to the dealer, like I said they put some kind of update on the car computer to hopefully fix the radio problem...they also said it may fix the hatch problem....it's been close to two years and hasn't happened again...sorry but dont recall what actual program was called. You may try checking for any radio updates at the dealer and see if you get some progress that way...good luck....by the way, it was Louis Thomas Subaru in Parkersburg WVa...
Having the same problem with the hatch. About three months ago the radio went dead. The dealership did an update on the software and restored the radio, but the hatch keeps opening itself about once every couple of months, So far, it's always happened at home, but I'm just waiting for it to pull this stunt in some public place.

Just started having the same problem with my 2019 Outback. Hatch opened while car was parked in the garage and this morning the battery needed a jump start. I had to manually close the hatch. It happened twice this week. I brought it to the Subaru dealer who checked it out and found nothing wrong except tightened the battery node. I was told that if the battery is low from the hatch being open, then the button may not work to open and close. When I started the car to go home, the hatch opened right at the service area. I showed a service tech what happened and then it closed by itself. Bringing it back after Thanksgiving. I was told that maybe a radio frequency is doing it. It has happened 6 times that I know of in the last 4 days.
Hi,
my 2019 had this problem consistently until subaru replaced my radio ! Funny,
i tried numerous times to update the radio myself and even had subaru try remotely! They finally told me to go to the dealer and they replaced the radio !

Ask a Question