P219F code on a 2018 Subaru Outback with 40K miles

Reaction score
Hi all,

Was driving the car the other days and at first noticed a little more engine vibrations than usual and later the engine almost stalled as I was driving, and the check engine light came on. The OBD code P219F is for Cylinder #4 imbalance.
Many years ago I had a similar problem with my Jeep and had to change the crankcase positioning sensor. I don't have that much fate in the local Subaru dealer, as in most cases they just swap parts, and I have to keep going back to fix the problem. I am thinking of replacing the crank case sensor myself, but wanted to know if others have had the same problem and how it got addressed.

Thank you

Measure and test all cylinder(s) compression, check/replace the spark plugs and test the ignition coils.
An oscilloscope will help when testing CKP and CMP sensor output instead of replacing parts.
That test will determine if both sensors are sending the correct voltage and if the cam/crank correlation is correct.

Subaru P219F can also refer to the camshaft (cam) timing and if the cam timing is over-retarded.
That case will refer to the VVT (Variable Valve Timing) mechanism (oil control) or if one of the VVT solenoids is stuck.

P219F also refers to air/fuel ratio at #4 cylinder. If for any reason a restricted/damaged injector, one or more valves not opening correctly, a vacuum leak, restricted exhaust port or even poor quality fuel can record that fault.

One interesting test is with the H6 that was accomplished and measured the results.
Read the last page of this link.
https://www.thesubaruforums.com/threads/low-gas-mileage.13354/

Ask a Question