Interested in a 2021/2022 Outback XT Touring but have a few concerns

Reaction score
I had been considering an Outback Touring XT for a while now. I had a non-turbo Outback as a loaner, and it was a nice car. It road really smoothly, and I could fit all of my band gear in there well. I currently have a 2021 Hyundai Tucson Limited in the shop after the engine blew up at 73K miles. I have a 2021 Forester Sport as a loaner.

I do have a few concerns about the Outback XT. I have read many accounts that the paint is very fragile and does not hold up well. I have also read that the windshield cracks easily and costs a lot to replace. I didn't think that much of it until I got the loaner. It is a 21, and the paint on it looks worse than my 2012 Tucson -- scratches, scrapes, and chips everywhere. The day I received the loaner, it had just gotten its windshield replaced. Seeing both of the issues I was worried about has me a little worried.

I have also read that the Outback uses a problematic CVT that is unreliable and expensive to replace. Is that still true in the 2021 model, or was that was older models? Is the acoustic glass on the XT Turbo more durable than the normal Subaru windshields? How is your paint holding up? Thanks everyone.

All of these issues are isolated issues that probably only affected a few people that posted the same crap online a million times to make it look like a huge problem. Subaru's CVT holds up just fine for what it is. Remember people only go online to complain. Rule of thumb I learned a long time ago....When someone has a great experience they tell 3 people, when they have a bad experience they tell 10. You do the math, word of mouth is very powerful but easily mislead and misunderstood. No one tells the whole story.

There is a class action lawsuit regarding the defective windshield on 2015-2020 subaru's (several models). I can attest to a defective windshield as mine cracked on a 2020 Limited XT at 17K miles. I heard a loud pop and an 6-inch crack appeared right at the base of the right wiper blade. If you do your research, you will find this is a common occurrence. I own 4 other cars (BMW, Mercedes, Toyota and Acura) and none of them had issues like this with the windshield.

Other than a poorly performing first generation software that reboots itself without warning, the rest of the car seems to operate as advertised.

There is a class action lawsuit regarding the defective windshield on 2015-2020 subaru's (several models). I can attest to a defective windshield as mine cracked on a 2020 Limited XT at 17K miles. I heard a loud pop and an 6-inch crack appeared right at the base of the right wiper blade. If you do your research, you will find this is a common occurrence. I own 4 other cars (BMW, Mercedes, Toyota and Acura) and none of them had issues like this with the windshield.

Other than a poorly performing first generation software that reboots itself without warning, the rest of the car seems to operate as advertised.
Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of the lawsuit. I wish the Outback had the same screen as a Forester. I'm using a Forester as a loaner, while Hyundai ignores my under-warranty blown up engine. Having the full screen on the Forester is a lot nicer than the tiny portion of the screen usable with Android Audio. I keep checking back here to see if that gets changed in an update. Crappy to have to have less usable screen size than the size of my phone. That's one of the things that initially kept me from buying an Outback. It was the perfect size, has great AWD, and was very comfortable, but I didn't like the infotainment.

We were sold on the new Outback, CVT & all, until I saw something by a you tube guy - Mr. Subaru 1387. He had a great explanation of how Subaru has been in CVT tech for a long time and that they are the best of the lot. BUT: It seems that in the US, Subaru is touting the CVT as 'maintenance free' - meaning no regular fluid change intervals. That's just insane. No fluid is lifetime. The interesting thing is that if you buy a Subaru with a CVT in Canada, Japan, anywhere but the US, the manual will prescribe a service interval.

For the experts: is this still true? If Subaru USA has come to their collective senses and now offer a service interval for their CVT, I'm ready to drop a deposit for a new Outback. Otherwise we're going Toyota Rav4.

ANY constructive feedback is appreciated.

I think I'll try the local dealers and see what kind of responses I get. Some will apparently do the change if you insist, but it ain't cheap. :)

If your still considering a 2021/2022 Id wait at this late date for the 2022..
I bet they dont cut the $$ on the last couple 2021s to get rid of em..

If your still considering a 2021/2022 Id wait at this late date for the 2022..
I bet they dont cut the $$ on the last couple 2021s to get rid of em..

Sound advice. Subaru has never been inclined to price breaks, even on end-of-year sales. They don't have to.

We were sold on the new Outback, CVT & all, until I saw something by a you tube guy - Mr. Subaru 1387. He had a great explanation of how Subaru has been in CVT tech for a long time and that they are the best of the lot. BUT: It seems that in the US, Subaru is touting the CVT as 'maintenance free' - meaning no regular fluid change intervals. That's just insane. No fluid is lifetime. The interesting thing is that if you buy a Subaru with a CVT in Canada, Japan, anywhere but the US, the manual will prescribe a service interval.

For the experts: is this still true? If Subaru USA has come to their collective senses and now offer a service interval for their CVT, I'm ready to drop a deposit for a new Outback. Otherwise we're going Toyota Rav4.

ANY constructive feedback is appreciated.
Just bought a 2022 Outback Limited XT. No problem with CVT service. It will be done by Subaru, an independent subaru shop or me. I always change oil and trans fluid more than car manufacturer's US schedule. The US recommendations are tailored for an American public's desire to not work on a car if possible. US recommendations are designed to promote sales. There is a more realistic approach to car maintenance in Europe and apparently Canada than here.

Last edited:
Most "American public" just believe to put gas in it and drive. Maintenance, why.
How many vehicles have lights out-rather new vehicles? One the othet hand what does a headlight eplacement cost these days??

Many lights now we dont worry about w/ 15-20 LEDs on a taillight.. it will take forever to burn em all out.

I recently decided to purchase a 2021 Forrester Touring over the HONDA CRV Touring mainly just liked the interior better. As to concerns with the CVT, IT’s a well understood technology as practically every Honda and Subrau lineup use them so they are proven, well as much as anything else. The only thing I,ve noticed the software used to display MPG varies all over the map changing from 12MPG in town to over 20MPG following identical driving patters and road surfaces there isn’t any way the mileage could possibly vary that wildly. I hope this is in the works as a TSB this is the first Subrau I have owned in 59 years of driving.also, I had no idea that thread depth or tire circumferences of 4 or 5/32nd difference between opposite side tires could throw the CVT/AWD system into convulsions. That seems pretty frightening to me???

Ask a Question