2021 Forester Touring Driver Monitoring System Issue

Reaction score
Went on an errand yesterday all was normal. When I returned and was driving back, the DM begging to nag about keeping my eyes on the road. I was doing but that but it kept going off every 7-10 seconds while driving. I stopped turned off the ignition engine not running, then restarted but the warning kept going off until I was home in the garage. First time this has happened.

I also noted that the lane departure and rear collision switches on the upper console next to the sun roof also said off. No way to turn them on? I had not noticed this previously either.
Any ideas before I call the dealer for service?

Thanks

Inspect the vehicle for damage, excessive dirt, mud, water leaks etc. Many of the safety systems are mounted within the body and difficult to look for. If the concern arises again, dealer equipment will test the monitoring system for recorded faults.

Inspect the vehicle for damage, excessive dirt, mud, water leaks etc. Many of the safety systems are mounted within the body and difficult to look for. If the concern arises again, dealer equipment will test the monitoring system for recorded faults.
Pretty sure it’s been logged by the ECM but haven’t check again as far as a drive test. Shouldn’t be contamination since it’s garaged and never off road only three short trips in town this week. It must be a failure.

The issue reported about the driver eyesight attention monitor continuously was not intended to be related to the rear collision or lane change warning SWITCHES I mentioned originally.

I should have not mention the switches in the post as the switch markings have nothing to do with the Mai issue. As far as I know, the rear collision and lane change warnings are both operating normally.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks

The issue reported about the driver eyesight attention monitor continuously was not intended to be related to the rear collision or lane change warning SWITCHES I mentioned originally.

I should have not mention the switches in the post as the switch markings have nothing to do with the Mai issue. As far as I know, the rear collision and lane change warnings are both operating normally.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks

Sorry for the double post the iPad appeared to have dumped the message before the reply was sent. Monday…..Monday!

The main issues that are known about Eyesight has been "contamination" on the sensors because of cleaning the inside of the windshield, dirt / water on the exterior of the windshield and notably the replacement of the glass.
The incorrect type of glass and not calibrating the sensors has been past issues. Poor weather - rain, snow and fog is another thought.

The main issues that are known about Eyesight has been "contamination" on the sensors because of cleaning the inside of the windshield, dirt / water on the exterior of the windshield and notably the replacement of the glass.
The incorrect type of glass and not calibrating the sensors has been past issues. Poor weather - rain, snow and fog is another thought.

thanks for the reply and previous info. The issue reported is entirely related to the driver focus monitoring. A “registered” or previously established driver in the driver profile was being given constant false warnings on the combination meter that driver attention or “eyes straight ahead” were not as programmed from original facial scan. This warning repeated every few seconds and were all false. Restarting the car, opening and closing the door had no effect. Next morning took it out for another test drive, no further issues or false warnings.
Originally, 2 profiles or registered users were set up in the car but for some reason, prior to the driver false attention warnings issue, the 2nd driver was not being recognized. Some time after noticing this issue the false warning about driver attention began.
There is something off or erratic about drivers being recognized and I am convinced this will happen again.
Thanks!

Please mark the original thread as solved, much thanks.

I have had the same issue several times over the 2 years I have owned my 21 Forester Touring. The best I can tell, it appears to happen when it takes me too long to get situated in the driver's seat. Each time this has happened, the issue has gone away the next time I drive the car.

I have had the same issue several times over the 2 years I have owned my 21 Forester Touring. The best I can tell, it appears to happen when it takes me too long to get situated in the driver's seat. Each time this has happened, the issue has gone away the next time I drive the car.

Taking a little too long to get into the drivers seat or wearing a mask too long after entering the car can an dies trip the DMS into bag mode proceeded first by the seat not adjusting to your saved profile. Open the door while in the vehicle before starting and allow DMS scan again. I think it’s a bug in the earlier DMS’. That’s what I do to invoke a rescan and it works every time.

Ask a Question