2021 Forrester Touring

Reaction score
Just purchased this certified pre-owned. Have discovered the super annoying Auto stop/Auto start nag that according to the Subaru dealer cannot be disabled or switched off as default. Instead the dealer says it’s a Federal requirement it remain active upon each restart. Anyone know if this is true or is there a work-around to disable it without it re-enabling itself on restart?
Thanks

I too bought a certified pre-owned 2021 Forester. Today. Dealer said the annoying Auto stop etc feature could be disabled. When I drove home tonight I didn't notice that issue.

How does it manifest?

It will return to that mode on every restart, did the dealer tell you that? By now you have discovered that and there is no way to permanently defeat it unless the dealer modifies the ECM controlling module to turn it off which is doubtful or even possible. It will save the tiniest bit of gasoline BUT at the cost to the battery and starter! Makes no sense!

It is winter here in Minnesota. Apparently, running the heater and maybe the radio at the same time seems to disable Auto Stop/Start. It only happened a couple of times before the weather turned very cold.

I have seen devices on Amazon that can be installed (somehow) to disable Auto Stop/Start. Search for "auto stop start eliminator" on Amazon.

Ask a Question