2021 Forester Sport Rotors

Reaction score
Hi .. have seen threads w the Ascent mostly similar to my issue. I had warped rotors at 6900 miles which are not under warranty but the dealer did resurface at no charge. They indicated it was likely my fault because I washed my wheels/discs at the car wash and warped them because they were hot. I also at 15-20k have a sound most discernible after going over a speed bump that sounds like it’s coming from the front right, not an engine sound.. sorta clunky or maybe whirry.. stops when you stop. Twice shop can’t find the issue.. I am at 42k now..few weeks ago I was not using my car for two weeks.. got in car.. saw significant rust on discs, got driving and they were shuddering on braking same issue as 6900 miles.. front rotors warped and backs as well. Backs can be surfaced front it’s full replacement. Has anyone else had this issue? The shop comment was basically oh well and do you tow? I said yea.. I have a small box trailer and don’t take much in it.. it’s wood sided and the under carriage dates between the 20s and 40s.. they told me I should get separate brakes for that. This is the first car ever for me where I have had to do a brake job before 120k and I have never had rotors replaced.. I am feeling this is lemony. Anyone else have this issue and any meaningful resolution? I know the rotors may not actually be warping but may be getting hot for whatever reason and the ceramic brake pads are shedding and adhering to the rotors w the same affect as heat warp. I drive mostly in the flats, tow rarely, am a slow driver and not a heavy braker… thoughts??

A standard box trailer doesn't need electric brakes. The dealer / service department should consider that statement as total B.S. I tow trailers with no issues with the brakes.
A car wash???? what happens when you drive through the streets with water, puddles, snow and ice?
Let them explain that nonsense.

Washing brake parts at the car wash is considered a NO NO!
Excess water will make the brakes "skate" upon application and requires more force to apply the brakes.

Measure the weight of the trailer with the anticipated / average load at a scale. Then you will know the capacity compared to the specification of your model.
Of course, check the Ascent tire pressures, trailer wheel bearings, tire condition and tire pressures.
Have a technician inspect the trailer and that includes the correct adapting wiring harness that fits the exact model.
If the Ascent has questionable brakes, the concern may be considered as a "safety recall". Contact Subaru Corporate and document everything, including the ridiculous comments. Contact other Ascent owners, ask them to keep their records or similar concerns.
If you want real brakes with no issues, call / contact shops that modify brake systems for racing. < Opinion
Once again ... warranty? if changing braking systems?
In my world and IF available, we install Brembo brakes.

A standard box trailer doesn't need electric brakes. The dealer / service department should consider that statement as total B.S. I tow trailers with no issues with the brakes.
A car wash???? what happens when you drive through the streets with water, puddles, snow and ice?
Let them explain that nonsense.

Washing brake parts at the car wash is considered a NO NO!
Excess water will make the brakes "skate" upon application and requires more force to apply the brakes.

Measure the weight of the trailer with the anticipated / average load at a scale. Then you will know the capacity compared to the specification of your model.
Of course, check the Ascent tire pressures, trailer wheel bearings, tire condition and tire pressures.
Have a technician inspect the trailer and that includes the correct adapting wiring harness that fits the exact model.
If the Ascent has questionable brakes, the concern may be considered as a "safety recall". Contact Subaru Corporate and document everything, including the ridiculous comments. Contact other Ascent owners, ask them to keep their records or similar concerns.
If you want real brakes with no issues, call / contact shops that modify brake systems for racing. < Opinion
Once again ... warranty? if changing braking systems?
In my world and IF available, we install Brembo brakes.

Thank you for your response.. I'll check other forums... there was a fix for the Ascent kinda - a brake pad kit .. and there is a NHTSA note on it too.... clarifying further, my car is 2021 Sub Forester Sport, and the trailer is tiny 4x6.. washing my car - I had 4 minutes to do the whole thing so I probably spent 15 seconds to clean around the wheels and tires each...it wasn't like I was blasting for minutes on each...you know what you do at a car wash...it's the same thing I have done for 48 years or so... I sent a note to Sub Corp and NHTSA too - .. I have docs and notes on all but it really does not make me feel warm and fuzzy....

4 x 6 trailer is very small and light. I have one of those as well. They weigh nothing and not able to carry a heavy load. I do however service the bearings yearly with "bearing buddies" and a few strokes of bearing grease goes a long way. Tires last year are new with 2 extra spares. You can't mount electric brakes to that type of axle and of no use because of very low load requirements.
You have it right, it's too small to make any difference on the brake system.

4 x 6 trailer is very small and light. I have one of those as well. They weigh nothing and not able to carry a heavy load. I do however service the bearings yearly with "bearing buddies" and a few strokes of bearing grease goes a long way. Tires last year are new with 2 extra spares. You can't mount electric brakes to that type of axle and of no use because of very low load requirements.
You have it right, it's too small to make any difference on the brake system.

fyi read the fine print in the manual and 1000lbs is the max tow weight without trailer brakes.. sad.

One test is to measure the loaded trailer at a scale.
A 4 X 6 trailer is very light, measure it empty > GTW (Gross Trailer Weight)
Also, measure tongue weight using this guide. Some "trailer supply shops have test equipment".
https://www.curtmfg.com/trailer-parts/couplers/learn-more

Also be aware of placing the load "secure / hold / restrict the load" over the axle assembly.

The placement of the load correctly will change the tongue weight and keep the trailer stable at road speed.

Agreed, very sad and I made the decision for a Subaru, not a truck.

Last edited:

Ask a Question