Head lights start when you put the car in drive and will not turn off.

Reaction score
Just bought a 2019 Forester. Right away had the following problems with the lights. Putting the car in drive starts the low beam head lights. They won't turn off until the engine is turned off. It doesn't matter what setting it is on. Auto, full headlights, the circle etc. Those lights come on and they will not turn off until the engine is stopped.

I took it to the service department. I could tell they thought I was a moron. They started talking about the settings etc.
Finally the salesman who sold me the car and the service manager arrived. After about 15 minutes they agreed the lights did come on and would not turn off. They had no idea why. They said they would try to find out but they were just blowing me off.

Anybody know why this is happening?

Thanks

What you are experiencing could be the day time running lights. I am not sure what fuse it is but you can look it up in your owners manual and pull the fuse to turn the daytime running lights off. That should take care of that issue.

Just bought a 2019 Forester. Right away had the following problems with the lights. Putting the car in drive starts the low beam head lights. They won't turn off until the engine is turned off. It doesn't matter what setting it is on. Auto, full headlights, the circle etc. Those lights come on and they will not turn off until the engine is stopped.

I took it to the service department. I could tell they thought I was a moron. They started talking about the settings etc.
Finally the salesman who sold me the car and the service manager arrived. After about 15 minutes they agreed the lights did come on and would not turn off. They had no idea why. They said they would try to find out but they were just blowing me off.

Anybody know why this is happening?

Thanks
I agree with ozark in this matter. Most Subaru’s have daytime running lights. I own two legacies one being a legacy outback. Both of them when you release the parking break they come on.

I had the same issue with my 2019 Limited. The issue is not with daytime running lights. The headlights are truly on. I took it to my dealer and they said that it is a safety issue if the outside lighting is not sufficient to turn them off. They are on "auto" even if the switch is set to "off". They are on when I pull out of the garage and will stay on unless the daylight is bright enough. If it is, they go off after a short time. Personally, I would like my headlights to go off when I set the switch to off. I thought "off" meant "off". I understand that safety is important, but some of the features can be very confusing. Hope this helps.

Ask a Question