Bizarre problem / Cargo cover storage area

Reaction score
Hello...my first post.

I own a 2017 Outback. Don't think that'll matter in this issue. Before leaving for vacation, I took off the cargo cover to store it in its' spot in the wheel well. For some reason, it wouldn't slide into its designated slot. I reached into the slot to see if there was an obstruction, there was, it was a golf ball. No problem, reach in and grab it. Oh, did anyone know there is a hole at the end of that slot that a golf ball can easily fall into? Guess what...there is and I now know of its' existence. Why is there a hole there? Anyway, I'm thinking no big deal. Well, I was wrong. That golf ball rolls all over the space provided whenever I make a turn, step on the brakes, accelerate, etc...

Is there an easy way to open this up or have access to the space? The slot is big enough for my hand, but it's a 90 degree drop that is way too small for an arm or possible vacuum hose (well, the hose I have available). This cannot go on much longer. It's very loud and quite annoying.

Not sure anyone has had this problem, so any thoughts are appreciated. I'm sure those that don't know of the holes existence will now go out and check their cargo cover homes to see for themselves. Posting on laptop, will try and post photo when I get on my cell. Thanks for any bit of advice.

Added two photos. The second shows the hole via my cell phone (no golf ball present 😟)
IMG20230619133316.jpg
IMG20230619133708.jpg

Last edited:

Ask a Question